Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPAC VS smittybilt tailgate gear.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPAC VS smittybilt tailgate gear.

Which is better? It appears that the smittybilt covers a lot more area, giving more options for attaching things.

smittybilt

MPAC

Last edited by johnnyj33p; 08-11-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the smittybilt looks like doodoo
Old 08-11-2009, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Aye. the smitty one likes like it would have some issues with weight, you can see certain areas starting to droop in that picture.

the MPAC looks pretty good and more natural in my opinion.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Go Smitty.....reminds me of my body armor....you can add ammo pouches, grenade pouches, flashlight, first aid kit, CQC holster, and original pouches
Old 08-11-2009, 07:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Anything heavy on that Smittybuilt and it's gonna sag a bit...I've got the MPAC and it's a good piece of kit. The only problem I see with it is its a bit of a PITA to properly mount MOLLE gear to it (weaving it). It is very sturdy, and looks very clean. I'm currently running an IFAK pouch, an M240B Assault Pack Pouch that holds my tie downs, and a custom oversized ammo pouch for my 2" recovery strap, no sag on my gear.

I would recommend MPAC.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:56 AM
JK Junkie

Go with MPAC from Springtail. I think the Smittybilt just velcros on, and can't take much weight.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:44 AM
JK Junkie

I know I saw the place where the Springtail racks are manufactured and there isn't anyone sitting there with a hand grinder, wrench, and rattle can. It is all laser cut and powder coated. You will have a hard time finding something of a higher quality in this area. Also it seems like for myself, and most others using the MPAC the quickfists are as handy, if not more handy than many of the bags, and the Springtail rack is the only one with that capability.

I know that I have a few of the racks, and everyone in my Jeep club that has seen them has been very impressed with the thought that has gone into these racks, and the quality. If anyone is in my area they can always come and take a look.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=hindsight;1282972]Let me through in my .02

I have no doubt you make a quality product, but I feel like you leave to much open area. You should make it larger so theres more room for attaching things.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

If the smitty tailgate is like the gear covers then it is not velcro. Uses straps with snaps
Old 09-29-2009, 06:46 AM
JK Jedi

I have nothing to but good things to say about the M-PAC rack. I have it, it is VERY well built and I would buy it three times again before ever considering the Smittybuilt.

Quick Reply: MPAC VS smittybilt tailgate gear.