Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My 5.13:1 gear review.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joe002
Yes, and verified with a GPS.
Yeah, I got the AEV pro-cal with the lift so I recalibrated for tire size and for gear ratio before I drove a foot with the new lift/tires. I don't have a GPS so I am using the old-school "how many miles did I drive divided by how many gallons did I just put in the tank" method of calculating. I realize the odometer number I'm using 'could' be off, but since I recalibrated I'm assuming it's not.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:36 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by GreenMachine10
Lots of people were saying they get between 15-16 with the same type set-up. So, do not re-gear for MPG. Only for power. Which is great BTW.
A big part of this is where you are and the terrain you drive over. Chicago is very flat, the highways outside of when the suns down will rarely let you travel the speed limit and during peak traffic you use the brake pedal a lot more than the throttle. Not really much of an opportunity for the gear hunting that many others encounter unless you get outside the city.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:39 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Too many variables to get any kind of accuracy when comparing mpg.

As an example, on a recent 60+ mile freeway trip, I got 21.1 mpg
4door, auto, 35's, 5.38's, bumper/winch and a decent amount of added weight, Colorado altitude with lots of hills.

That is the kind of mpg you might hear about from a bone stock Manual. At sea level. On flat roads. With a tailwind.

Account for as many of the variables as you can before you compare...
Old 03-05-2011, 02:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JPop
A big part of this is where you are and the terrain you drive over. Chicago is very flat, the highways outside of when the suns down will rarely let you travel the speed limit and during peak traffic you use the brake pedal a lot more than the throttle. Not really much of an opportunity for the gear hunting that many others encounter unless you get outside the city.
True, I figured this to be the reason. ECU tuning? Hypertech ECON?

Quick Reply: My 5.13:1 gear review.