JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   my axle is crap (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/my-axle-crap-142896/)

pitcherofnectar 09-07-2010 08:14 PM

my axle is crap

Hey i have an 08 wrangler x unlimited, 4.5" rubicon express lift and ARB lockers front and back. my front locker just keeps breaking, im thinking about upgrading to a dana 44 fromthe current 30. the whole axle is weak overall but the differential has been a problem consistently. john's 4x4 keeps fixing the problem but it just keeps breaking. i would love someone to take a look at it in their spare time and i really would like some suggestions on where to find a good front dana 44 for a low price. im in boulder. thanks
:D

mkjeep 09-07-2010 08:20 PM

:thinking: Your locker keeps breakin? Please explain a little more detail.

river2c 09-07-2010 08:26 PM

If your locker keeps breaking it sounds more like an installation problem. The ARB lockers are very durable. Why do you think your axle has anything to do with the locker problem? Did the axle break? Give us more information on what led up to the problems you are having and maybe someone can steer you in the right direction.

mkjeep 09-07-2010 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by river2c (Post 1839026)
If your locker keeps breaking it sounds more like an installation problem. The ARB lockers are very durable. Why do you think your axle has anything to do with the locker problem? Did the axle break? Give us more information on what led up to the problems you are having and maybe someone can steer you in the right direction.

X2, your locker should be the strongest piece in your axle/diff housing, im curious as to what is actually breaking.

captjay 09-07-2010 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by mkjeep (Post 1839031)
X2, your locker should be the strongest piece in your axle/diff housing, im curious as to what is actually breaking.

for sure, the arb tests will break the machine before the locker breaks, very interested in this one. i have arbs frnt and rear also, put them through hell and back, they keep on locking

even IF there was a problem wth the locker, the axle is much much weaker and shouyld break well before the arb does.. i wonder if the correct model of arb was installed, didnt older arbs have seal or o-ring blow out problems that could cause breakage?? i might be mistaken on that

pitcherofnectar 09-08-2010 03:58 AM

well ive been told the teeth inside the differential become stripped and theres a bunch of metal shavings just floating around. the locker no longer engages. the axle has broke a few times in different spots. this is all stuff i've been told, im not really technicaly slanted on this kind of stuff i just like to drive into the mountains to go fishing, you know? i just feel sick of paying so much to the 4x4 shop and was hoping someone out here might be able to take a look at it to really explain to me whats going on. it make this sound thats a bit like a chain rattling or dragging on a concrete floor, if you can follow me. im pretty sure its coming from the differential. also, the gearing is something over 5 and im getting about 4000 rpm at 65 mph in 6th gear, which is awful for driving any long distance.

i hate these stupid air lockers and wish i got some ox lockers, i just feel like this system has so many more places to fail with the whole air piping idea in place. can someone in the denver area pm me if youhave time to check it out? that would be so great.

greasyspider 09-08-2010 04:03 AM

sounds like you need to go to a different shop to me. I've heard of axle's breaking, ring and pinion in extreme situations, but I've never heard of a locker breaking.

pitcherofnectar 09-08-2010 04:18 AM

well this is i a good start i guess

mkjeep 09-08-2010 04:24 AM

4000rpms at 65mph? What size tires you runnin? With 5.13 gearing you would be runnin like a 26in tall tire to turn those rpms:thinking:

Dynatrac 09-08-2010 06:14 AM

There is something missing here. No product is perfect but to break an CURRENT model ARB as you describe is very unusual. Your driving style could be contributing if you 'crash lock' your locker frequently.