Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my axle is crap

Old 09-07-2010, 08:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my axle is crap

Hey i have an 08 wrangler x unlimited, 4.5" rubicon express lift and ARB lockers front and back. my front locker just keeps breaking, im thinking about upgrading to a dana 44 fromthe current 30. the whole axle is weak overall but the differential has been a problem consistently. john's 4x4 keeps fixing the problem but it just keeps breaking. i would love someone to take a look at it in their spare time and i really would like some suggestions on where to find a good front dana 44 for a low price. im in boulder. thanks
Old 09-07-2010, 08:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your locker keeps breakin? Please explain a little more detail.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:26 PM
JK Freak

If your locker keeps breaking it sounds more like an installation problem. The ARB lockers are very durable. Why do you think your axle has anything to do with the locker problem? Did the axle break? Give us more information on what led up to the problems you are having and maybe someone can steer you in the right direction.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:30 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by river2c
If your locker keeps breaking it sounds more like an installation problem. The ARB lockers are very durable. Why do you think your axle has anything to do with the locker problem? Did the axle break? Give us more information on what led up to the problems you are having and maybe someone can steer you in the right direction.
X2, your locker should be the strongest piece in your axle/diff housing, im curious as to what is actually breaking.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkjeep
X2, your locker should be the strongest piece in your axle/diff housing, im curious as to what is actually breaking.
for sure, the arb tests will break the machine before the locker breaks, very interested in this one. i have arbs frnt and rear also, put them through hell and back, they keep on locking

even IF there was a problem wth the locker, the axle is much much weaker and shouyld break well before the arb does.. i wonder if the correct model of arb was installed, didnt older arbs have seal or o-ring blow out problems that could cause breakage?? i might be mistaken on that
Old 09-08-2010, 03:58 AM
JK Newbie

well ive been told the teeth inside the differential become stripped and theres a bunch of metal shavings just floating around. the locker no longer engages. the axle has broke a few times in different spots. this is all stuff i've been told, im not really technicaly slanted on this kind of stuff i just like to drive into the mountains to go fishing, you know? i just feel sick of paying so much to the 4x4 shop and was hoping someone out here might be able to take a look at it to really explain to me whats going on. it make this sound thats a bit like a chain rattling or dragging on a concrete floor, if you can follow me. im pretty sure its coming from the differential. also, the gearing is something over 5 and im getting about 4000 rpm at 65 mph in 6th gear, which is awful for driving any long distance.

i hate these stupid air lockers and wish i got some ox lockers, i just feel like this system has so many more places to fail with the whole air piping idea in place. can someone in the denver area pm me if youhave time to check it out? that would be so great.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

sounds like you need to go to a different shop to me. I've heard of axle's breaking, ring and pinion in extreme situations, but I've never heard of a locker breaking.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:18 AM
JK Newbie

well this is i a good start i guess
Old 09-08-2010, 04:24 AM
JK Jedi Master

4000rpms at 65mph? What size tires you runnin? With 5.13 gearing you would be runnin like a 26in tall tire to turn those rpms
Old 09-08-2010, 06:14 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is something missing here. No product is perfect but to break an CURRENT model ARB as you describe is very unusual. Your driving style could be contributing if you 'crash lock' your locker frequently.

Quick Reply: my axle is crap