Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My one ton build / help thread!

Old 09-22-2013, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My one ton build / help thread!

Ok so it's about that time that I venture in to the world of one tons... I picked up a Dana 60 full float rear out of a 1979 f250! This is what I bought:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3793536592.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	499651

Name:	image-3960445931.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	499650

Name:	image-3295228574.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	499652

What I am doing now is telling you that I've never done this before and have been reading posts upon posts upon threads upon websites about this stuff and I have a migraine! I have a welder for the truss and the brackets and I have a facility to put it together... I want to get a grocery list going and also want ideas about what I need to get and what I need to do and wanted the help from people that have done this!

I need tires and want to go UP! I was going to do it with my d30 and d44 but figured this is the best way to go! And it sounded like fun! I'm in the process of finding a d60 front out of a 78-79 f250 or 350.

I want it to last and be great! 5.38 gears are an absolute and I want eaton lockers! Everything else I need feedback and help!

I will tell you right now my first concern is the fact that I've read that my rear end is a 30 spline vs a 35... Should I be trashing this rear and getting a 35 some version?

Please help me learn and get this grocery list down so I can build some bad ass one tons.

Links are good too to website and different things but bottom line is I want to know what people are putting in these bad boys and how they are making them work!

Thank you in advance!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Having an issue finding and choosing rear disc brakes and rear hubs... Any thoughts?

Also I want to have the 8 lug pattern but want to have the electronics for the tone ring, esp, bad and so on. Also I want the parking brake!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I would look at jkowners or pirate4x4 for info on axle building. Lots of threads and info over there.

Last edited by kh202; 09-23-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I would look at jkowners or pirate4x4 for info on axle building. Lots of threads and info over there. .
Wow...can't imagine many are going to enjoy having you in our community.

Last edited by kh202; 09-23-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Been looking everywhere at many forums... Just asking the questions!

I've been told to go with the factory hubs? Anyone do this?
Old 09-23-2013, 07:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Why is that?
I am on several forums that are dedicated to the JK and a couple that are not specific to one 4x4. I will help anyone I can on any forum. The more extreme guys were banned (and their rights ups were scrubbed) years ago from this site and started jkowners, the sister site to pirate4x4. I was one of them with several rights ups and over 5000 posts. Recently the new owner has started unlocking old accounts but the old content is lost. I do not plan on posting any new right ups on here due to the prior actions on this forum. A lot of knowledge can be found over at those other sites and I know there are several threads that go over just what the op was asking. Getting info from as many sources as you can is a smart way to build and I doubt you are going to get much input from people here.

This site is mainly newbs showing off their rigs and once in a while you get some really involved projects, I bet half of the accounts are no longer active and there are few leaders with the experience give more then basic advice. I may come off as a smart ass from time to time and I don't sugar coat stuff and gush over fancy wheels and mall crawlers. I am direct and honest and love a good debate. I am wrong from time to time and don't mind being corrected. You will also find that most of the more involved people on this forum are on others as well. Limiting yourself to just one forum will limit your potential answers. If the new owners or community leaders have a problem with that then I guess they can ask me to leave or ban me again.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by HiHoSilver
Been looking everywhere at many forums... Just asking the questions!

I've been told to go with the factory hubs? Anyone do this?
I would not use the factory hub on a dana 60, it is really a weak link. If you are going to all the work to do a 60 put in lock out hubs. They will allow you do disconnect the front axle for every day driving saving you some fuel and takes some wear and tear off your driveline. Should you break something up front you can also disconnect the hubs and drive on it. You can replace a shaft much easier with the lock out hub as well. Dynatrac has tone rings for 60's and I think ballistic fabrication does as well.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome thank you for the input! I should've clarified but the rear hubs specifically. Do you have a recommendation on company?
Old 09-23-2013, 07:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

parts mike, solid axle, spydertrax, ballistic, mb call dynatrac, I have bought individual axle components from them.. I doubt you are going to like the prices you are going to find for doing the rear. You really want to go full float on the rear to keep from bending flanges on the axle shafts. That will require new hubs, bearings, and shafts.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:45 AM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Why is that?
I am on several forums that are dedicated to the JK and a couple that are not specific to one 4x4. I will help anyone I can on any forum. The more extreme guys were banned (and their rights ups were scrubbed) years ago from this site and started jkowners, the sister site to pirate4x4. I was one of them with several rights ups and over 5000 posts. Recently the new owner has started unlocking old accounts but the old content is lost. I do not plan on posting any new right ups on here due to the prior actions on this forum. A lot of knowledge can be found over at those other sites and I know there are several threads that go over just what the op was asking. Getting info from as many sources as you can is a smart way to build and I doubt you are going to get much input from people here.

This site is mainly newbs showing off their rigs and once in a while you get some really involved projects, I bet half of the accounts are no longer active and there are few leaders with the experience give more then basic advice. I may come off as a smart ass from time to time and I don't sugar coat stuff and gush over fancy wheels and mall crawlers. I am direct and honest and love a good debate. I am wrong from time to time and don't mind being corrected. You will also find that most of the more involved people on this forum are on others as well. Limiting yourself to just one forum will limit your potential answers. If the new owners or community leaders have a problem with that then I guess they can ask me to leave or ban me again.
Lol, I will banish you for no bolt on mods...back to the land of core wheeler with you....you have Shamed us with the name that shall not be named...(oh yeah that was synergy, you can stay)

Quick Reply: My one ton build / help thread!