JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   My thoughts on lifts (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/my-thoughts-lifts-288269/)

pouls1 10-06-2015 02:21 PM

If I don't lift, do I upgrade any components to improve my ride? If I do a 1,5"...

Hi TheDirtman,

Thank you for this thread!

Your thoughts on lifts has probably taught me more than any other and also made me seriously think and put every planned suspension related mod for my 2016 Rubicon (4.10) on hold and up for a rethink. I am fairly new to Jeeps. There are a lot of voices that mean well, but it also confuses and gives head spins. Your read seems to make a lot of down to earth, plain sense. I'd love to hear your thoughts on my "situation", if you could.

I have always thought I would want to keep it as low as possible, but at the same time as capable and ultimate on and off road as possible. I have been advised to install a 2.5 lift (RK) in order to be able to run 35's and to do what I here have described.

I haven really liked many of the flat fender options - I like the original fenders. Now there is an alternative I like - the new Mopar High Top Flat Fenders.

My Jeep will be a dd around a small summer town, the beaches, to go exploring, to take to off road events, to take to the mountains for some trails ( app 5 hours drive). It will not be the every day "go to" vehicle for longer highway trips (except for the mountain ones), but more something for fun and to enjoy.

I know I can't have it all, but I'd at least try to make the best possible.

So, after reading your thoughts, and after seeing the High Top Flat Fenders from Mopar, I am considering to get those for starters. They say you can run 35 with no lift with those. Then the question is, if I want to make it as capable as possible - keep it there or add a 1.5". And if keeping it, would I add some better shocks, would I change to some better components of any kind? And if I do a 1,5" what sould that consist of, if I wanted to make the most out of it? I only know of RK making a 1,5" kit, in various stages. But do I do the whole 9 yards with lower ca's, upper, front and rear swaybars... etc? I see that with their max travel stage 2 they state that I even can go with a 37 and make a real LCG vehicle out of it. Any thoughts? Am I totally out in the woods here?

TheDirtman 10-06-2015 06:39 PM

35's and flats is fine if that is what you want to do. You must realize that lifts do not equal a more capable jeep. This is a widely held myth in the jeep world.

pouls1 10-06-2015 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by TheDirtman (Post 4149521)
35's and flats is fine if that is what you want to do. You must realize that lifts do not equal a more capable jeep. This is a widely held myth in the jeep world.

That much I understand too. But to be honest, I don't know what I want to do. I only know what I'd like, but not what to do to achieve that. Thats why I am here - to hopefully find some answers from some one that, as I put it in the beginning of my post, seems to give sound, down to earth advice - compared to most that doesn't know and are defending and justifying their own choices or who has the knowledge but get kick backs.

What would make a more capable Jeep then?

BlackRockBurner 10-06-2015 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by pouls1 (Post 4149554)
What would make a more capable Jeep then?

A driver that can pick great lines going over obstacles. Why many highly recommend new off-roaders drive stock for a while to get skills and get to know their jeeps.

BeachJK 10-07-2015 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by pouls1 (Post 4149554)
That much I understand too. But to be honest, I don't know what I want to do. I only know what I'd like, but not what to do to achieve that. Thats why I am here - to hopefully find some answers from some one that, as I put it in the beginning of my post, seems to give sound, down to earth advice - compared to most that doesn't know and are defending and justifying their own choices or who has the knowledge but get kick backs. What would make a more capable Jeep then?

The only thing really stopping your flexibility is your shocks and brake line. Longer travel shock and longer brake line will help. But that has side effects. You need bump stops to limit your up travel or you crush your shocks. That's were lift comes into play. Add lit and bump stops to maintain the same up travel. It's just a balance of up travel, down travel, how low cog you want and tire size. Once you figure that out its easier to pick out what you want for your jeep.

I would start with tire size, figure that out and work from there.

TheDirtman 10-07-2015 05:10 AM

Like said above, driver experience. Most people don't know how to drive off road and don't know how the vehicle is going to react in different situations. Put some time in the seat and hit some trails with others and you will learn quite a bit about your jeep and what you can do. As far as best performance gains come by
1.Tires
2.Locksers
3. Proper gearing for tire size.

Lift comes into play to allow for clearance for bigger tires and longer travel shocks. Larger lifts need adjustable links and other things to correct geometry. More height will increase approach angle, break over, and decline angle. Tires will do this too.

bell10 10-08-2015 08:51 AM

Never mind. Answer found

pouls1 10-08-2015 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by BeachJK (Post 4149577)
The only thing really stopping your flexibility is your shocks and brake line. Longer travel shock and longer brake line will help. But that has side effects. You need bump stops to limit your up travel or you crush your shocks. That's were lift comes into play. Add lit and bump stops to maintain the same up travel. It's just a balance of up travel, down travel, how low cog you want and tire size. Once you figure that out its easier to pick out what you want for your jeep.

I would start with tire size, figure that out and work from there.

Thank you BeachJK. This is the kind of answer that is helpful to me.

The size is decided - it will be 35.

pouls1 10-08-2015 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by TheDirtman (Post 4149603)
Like said above, driver experience. Most people don't know how to drive off road and don't know how the vehicle is going to react in different situations. Put some time in the seat and hit some trails with others and you will learn quite a bit about your jeep and what you can do. As far as best performance gains come by
1.Tires
2.Locksers
3. Proper gearing for tire size.

Lift comes into play to allow for clearance for bigger tires and longer travel shocks. Larger lifts need adjustable links and other things to correct geometry. More height will increase approach angle, break over, and decline angle. Tires will do this too.

Thank you! I have off road experience, but not with Jeep. And, I have never pieced together a suspension before. The offering over here is limited, which means importing. We can't have something by overnight delivery - it goes by ocean and it takes a month or two. Which again means - get the right stuff the first time :)

radiozoop 10-29-2015 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by pouls1 (Post 4150057)
Thank you BeachJK. This is the kind of answer that is helpful to me.

The size is decided - it will be 35.

So are you just putting 35's on with the MOPAR fenders?

This may be exactly what I want to do. I'm not so keen on lifting my Jeep just yet--I'm still a noob just like you--so I want to keep things simple.

-radiozoop