Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My Zerks are being Jerks

Old 05-02-2011, 05:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Zerks are being Jerks

I have the Teraflex front (quick disco) and rear sway bar links from my lift kit that I purchased used from a member.. The rear are installed and the front are not as I need the sleeves to install.

While putting a coat of paint on the front links I took out the zerks and noticed they were clogged with old greese. Also found out there is a spring in there too. Cleaned 'em out and tried to put grease in. Did not seem to work and just came out.

My question... How well greased do these need to be?.. What am I doing wrong? If I cleaned the front and it did not work.. how much should I worry about the rear, which probably did not get grease either?
Old 05-02-2011, 05:06 PM
JK Jedi Master

Go to an auto parts store and buy new zerks. I guess thats what you need, what isnt working?
Old 05-02-2011, 05:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Go to an auto parts store and buy new zerks. I guess thats what you need, what isnt working?
Grease is just coming out at the zerk fitting where it screws in. Pull off zerk, rotate bushing. look inside.... no grease.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkjeep
I agree. Just buy new one and be done with it.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Serg5000
I agree. Just buy new one and be done with it.
That is good advice and I'm not opposed at all, sounds like these should not be a problem to get.. Next question.

The rear are on and I don't think I can get to a couple of the zerks. Would a shot of litium grease be a good idea until I can get to them and get new ones on? Maybe 500 miles of driving?

Also, is the goal to get grease around the whole busing or just a spot of grease to lubricate?
Old 05-02-2011, 05:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Deere_Jeep
That is good advice and I'm not opposed at all, sounds like these should not be a problem to get.. Next question.

The rear are on and I don't think I can get to a couple of the zerks. Would a shot of litium grease be a good idea until I can get to them and get new ones on? Maybe 500 miles of driving?

Also, is the goal to get grease around the whole busing or just a spot of grease to lubricate?
Man, you'll be fine, they dont wear out that quickly. Just buy some new zerks, typically when they go bad, grease spits back out of them, pretty common, just replace.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:01 PM
JK Freak

Thanks guys. Loving the new setup. Will get some new zerks and post some pics once done.. links are a special "Green" Color.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Deere_Jeep
Thanks guys. Loving the new setup. Will get some new zerks and post some pics once done.. links are a special "Green" Color.
Hmm, John Deere green I presume.

Quick Reply: My Zerks are being Jerks