Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need advice re: rubbing

Old 05-20-2012, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice re: rubbing

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and really appreciate how informative and open it is.

I have a 2010 Sahara 2dr that I picked up from the dealership a few months back. It only had 5,500 miles on it and it came "certified". It came with a bunch of "upgrades" that the previous owner had installed, including:

33" DuraTracs
Mopar off-road front/rear bumpers
Warn VR8000 winch

I believe the suspension is stock. When it's just me and a passenger, the Jeep drives fine. Once I load up the back seat with people and gear, the Jeep seems to rub, or make a rubbing sound that comes from the passenger side, rear wheel area. This occurs when driving around town and is much more noticeable when driving on the beach or on trails.

What would you all recommend I do to remedy this issue? Will a leveling kit work? Different shocks? I'd rather not lift the Jeep if I don't have to. I've posted a couple of photos below.

Thank you so much for any guidance.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337540707.746979.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	319150  
Old 05-20-2012, 11:13 AM
JK Newbie

Also, does anyone know what kind of wheels I have on my Jeep???
Old 05-20-2012, 11:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats the size on the side wall they look bigger than 33's
Old 05-20-2012, 11:24 AM
JK Freak

If you haven't done any Mods on it.. you should try taking it back to the dealer and hopefully they could put on a lift to where it won't rub. Its worth a shot. If not.. then it will definitely need a lift. a 2.5 lift will be perfect. Just my opinion. Good Luck
Old 05-20-2012, 11:26 AM
JK Newbie

285/70/R17

Old 05-20-2012, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

They kinda look like Mamba MR1s. Where in MA are you from? I'm in the Gardner/Leominster area. As far as the rubbing sound goes it sounds like the extra weight of passengers and gear is causing the rear suspension to sag a bit creating the rubbing. Try to find out exactly where the tire is making contact. You may just need wheel spacers depending on where the rubbing is occurring. Best bet though would be a leveling kit or BB.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:31 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the quick replies!

Figs, I'm in Boston but am from Paxton originally. I'm out in the Worcester area a lot to visit friends.

Forgive my ignorance, what is a BB?

Do you think a leveling kit would fix this? Any recommendations on brand/model and shops to have it done around Boston/Cape Cod?
Old 05-20-2012, 11:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKinBoston
285/70/R17
Yea those are definitely the Mamba MR1s. This close up pick helped
Old 05-20-2012, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKinBoston
Thanks for the quick replies!

Figs, I'm in Boston but am from Paxton originally. I'm out in the Worcester area a lot to visit friends.

Forgive my ignorance, what is a BB?

Do you think a leveling kit would fix this? Any recommendations on brand/model and shops to have it done around Boston/Cape Cod?
BB is a budget boost. Its a cheap lift that will add the extra height needed without going all out on a full lift. If money was an issue i would go that route but if not just go for a full lift! It uses pucks to gain lift vs springs and such.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:36 AM
JK Newbie

I am with SSG though. Id try to make the dealership fix the issue if you bought it that way

Quick Reply: Need advice re: rubbing