Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Experts Like You To Help Make 10 Choices...

Old 04-30-2011, 11:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Experts Like You To Help Make 10 Choices...

Lucky break... got some cash... need help deciding how best to spend it... I'm thinking it's going to the Jeep.

To start, I have a stock 2011 Sahara 6 speed Unlimited. Looking for mods to optimize Jeep for (a) transporting astronomy equipment (e.g., telescopes, tripods, cameras, computers) to high elevations (i.e., tops of mountains), (b) off road fun - balance of rocks and mud, but not going to be running swamps, and (c) passable part-time daily-driver. Want to run 37s. Live in Mid-Atlantic

Having been through 1000s of posts here, its clear that you guys give great advice. Would be interested in your votes on these top 10 decisions...

#1 LIFT:.........................(A) 4.5" AEV Premium Lift, or ....(B) Teraflex 4" LCG
#2 FRONT BUMPER:........(A) AEV, or .............................(B) ARB Combo Bull Bar
#3 REAR BUMPER:..........(A) AEV + Tire Carrier, or ..........(B) Smitybilt SRC +Tire Carrier
#4 FRONT AXLE:.............(A) Wait til D30 Breaks, or ........(B) Swap Out w/ D44 Now
#5 GEARS: .....................(A) 5.13, or .............................(B) 4.88
#6 WHEELS: ...................(A) Sliver AEV Pintlers, or .........(B) Black Rockstars
#7 TIRES: ......................(A) 37x12.5R17 KM2s, or ..........(B) 37x12.50x17 MTRs
#8 RAILS: ......................(A) AMP Power Steps, or ...........(B) LoD Sliders
#9 WINCH: .....................(A) Warn 9.5 ti, or ..................(B) Smittybilt XRC-10
#10 BEST USE OF $$$......(A) Mods for My Jeep, ..............(B) Polio shots for the kids

Advice from 2 friends so far is:
1B, 2A, 3B, 4B, 5A, 6B, 7B, 8B, 9A and 10A
1A, 2A, 3A, 4B, 5A, 6A, 7A, 8B, 9A and 10A

What would your advice be?

Appreciate all your thoughts. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2011, 12:06 PM
JK Newbie

I am only repliying because your a local... :p

1 Neither... I like the Clayton, thats why I bought it (Nothing against your options)
2 A
3 A
4 A
5 A
6 A
7 A
8 B
9 A
10 BOTH
Old 04-30-2011, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks ollllllllo. Appreciate it. Nice to meet a local.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

Great to get your thoughts TheDirtman. I know it took some time time to look at each of them and I appreciate the feedback and ideas.

Quick question on the driveshaft replacement... Is that going to be a requirement for both a manual and an automatic? I'd been thinking it was going to be all right with the 4-4.5" lift... Is it the bigger lift or was I just misinformed?

Totally agree that debt free is the way to go.

Best
Old 04-30-2011, 02:24 PM
JK Freak

1. B or 5.5" RK
2. Neither. Shrockworks or Poison Spyder
3. Neither. Shrockworks or Poison Spyder
4. Neither. Go with a ProRock 44.
5. 5.13
6. A
7. B
8. B
9. A
10. A
Old 04-30-2011, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You will need to do both in time when the grease starts spitting from the joint. Time frame will vary but the front will go first. drive shafts start failing at 2.5" and fail faster the higher you go.
Thanks for the education TheDirtman. Another thing to look forward to. Based on Your tagline/signature... I've now officially had a good day.

Best
Old 04-30-2011, 05:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Abacabb
Thanks for taking the time to give your advice Abacabb.

Best
Old 04-30-2011, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't forget, going with a nice big lift and tires... You may want to consider a front drive shaft with possible rear too?

Maybe some grab handles, all weather mats, and the little things to make your trek easier and more enjoyable.

I just have a 2011 sport with the Teraflex 4" kit with flexarms and just to let you know that talking with knowledgable jeep guys anytime you need them without holding forever is part of their awesome customer service! I had a lot of questions even after reading the forums and threads, Teraflex was usually my first call.

My JK rides awesome and gears will be next to get some torque back...

Happy buying!
Old 04-30-2011, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by speedy64vw
Happy buying!

Thanks speed64vw. Got a lot to think about, and am looking to pull the trigger Tuesday. Appreciate the advice.

Best
Old 04-30-2011, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was under the impression AEV was better riding than the teraflex...considering your carrying some expensive cargo that would factor in my decision. In addition you might find some savings if you buy option A in 1,2 & 3 from the same manufacturer. If you can afford a new front 44 go for it now with the 5:13 gear set and consider a locking rear when you swap in the 5:13's. I like the rockstars & MTR's - LOD sliders - the winch would depend on $$ at this point....

so
1a,2a,3a,4b,5a,6b,7b,8b,9a or b, 10 a & b

I would also consider some form of internal storage rack in the back and a roof rack of sorts. ie. Rampage interior sport rack or similar.

Good luck & congrats on the shopping spree.

Quick Reply: Need Experts Like You To Help Make 10 Choices...