Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need help with clanking after 3" lift

Old 02-27-2009, 01:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with clanking after 3" lift

Okay, I installed a Black Diamond 3" lift along with a new set of 33x12.5 muds on 17x9 wheels. They've been on for about two months now. Today while riding down the road I hear this load clanking noise, like a piece of sheet metal flapping around. It only happens upon quick acceleration and was only happen when accelerating whil turning left. Now it is doing it going straight. Crawled under it again and checked everything to make sure it's tight and nothing was loose or rubbing. Only thing I could find was I was unable to turn the front drive shaft, while it was in 2wd. So tried shifting that out and back, to no avail. I'm at a lose as I see nothing loose, and no signs of tire rubbing. Any suggestions?? Think I will have any problems taking it to the dealer to have them look at it?

:UPDATE:

So apparently a couple of the bolts holding the torque converter came loose causing all sorts of havoc; bent the fly wheel, broke the converter and they say stripped the gears on the starter (which I think was just them trying to start it over and over when it blew). Then I told him that it was their shop that replaced the torque converter the last time I had transmission problems and sounded to me like someone forgot to properly torque the bolts down. Then he tried to tell me that they put locktit on them and that shouldn't happen if they forgot to tighten them down.

Last edited by ndnatty; 03-03-2009 at 04:56 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

Did you grease everything up?

sounds like its a dry bushing...
Old 02-27-2009, 01:58 PM
JK Freak

if all the bushings are greased up and are in good shape you might want to double check your swaybar links. i had 1 bolt on one of my links that kept wanting to loosen up on me and would do about the same thing you are describing.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

Too late. Like I said, I checked everything to make sure it was tight. What I couldn't check was the transmission's inner workings. So as I was out for another test drive to the store it dropped completely!!! So it is now being towed to the dealer. I had to have it rebuilt once already. I just didn't have time to reset the programing!! CRAP! I know they're going to give me grief now.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Best of luck to you now. That really sucks that happened.

Last edited by micja; 02-27-2009 at 05:43 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 02-27-2009, 10:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ndnatty
Too late. Like I said, I checked everything to make sure it was tight. What I couldn't check was the transmission's inner workings. So as I was out for another test drive to the store it dropped completely!!! So it is now being towed to the dealer. I had to have it rebuilt once already. I just didn't have time to reset the programing!! CRAP! I know they're going to give me grief now.
Initially from your description I would have said rear drive shaft coupling but not if your tranny has crapped out as well.

Are you running an auto or manual? Auto's don't seem to like a lift when it cops a lot of abuse. I know of two so far that have been re-built here in Dubai. One after only 2 inch lift but thats after 5000 kms, much of which was heavy desert abuse.

I've got a 3.5 inch rubicon express kit and have done about 14,000 kms on it and just recently I noticed a knocking noise from cold start. The shop checked it out and it is the rear shaft coupling giving up the ghost. I've had a re-gear to 4.88 so was very happy when they said it wasn't the ring and pinion! Once it warms up the noise ebates so for now I'm not going to worry about a replacement shaft.

Just my two quarters worth!
Old 02-28-2009, 03:40 PM
JK Newbie

Guess they towed it last night, but decided not to go to the dealer! Had to call the tow company this morning when it wasn't there. Then they said, "oh yeah it's on it's way"! Then I had to appolgize to the dealership for being a little irked when they couldn't find it. But then, they called back once it got there and they had a chance to look at it, and said that it would be monday before someone could look at it since it sounded like a flywheel problem. I am thinking maybe a torque converter problem since it's an automatic?? I have not clue with automatics since my other cj is manual. In short, they were open today, but no mechanics until Monday.

Quick Reply: Need help with clanking after 3" lift