Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help locating this "snap clank" noise

Old 04-01-2010, 11:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help locating this "snap clank" noise

Ok, I've been trying to search various posts on anything to do with front clanking noises but have drawn a blank on almost every post I read.

Have this "metal on metal" sounding "clanking" noise [almost sounds like a snap if you step on a dry branch in the forest, but in a metal form, if that even makes any sense ]. The noise only comes when turning, especially more so at low speeds; haven't noticed it at higher speeds, or maybe it still does and I just don't hear it between the wind and tire noise . Hear it more often when I make a right turn than when making a left.

I've gotten under the JK and had a buddy turn it from side to side while parked, with the engine running to see if anything was making contact. Nothing that I could see was moving or flexing or even touching anything that I could point a finger at. One thing that I DID notice was that my drag link almost feels taut - the ends that usually allow the drag link to move/rock a little are almost about stiff at both ends. If I hold the drag link firmly and try to move it up and down, I see the pitman arm move up and down just a little - maybe 1/8th of an inch [not sure if that's normal]. I've torqued the nut at the pitman arm to 185 ftlb.

If anyone needs some pictures, let me know what you need and what angle, and I'll get some. I may try to take a video of it somehow to see if I can capture the noise - maybe this gives a better idea.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:27 PM
JK Jedi

Anyone? Bueller??
Old 05-05-2010, 08:08 AM
JK Jedi

Looks like I accidentally solved my issue! Removed the Rough Country Dual Steering Stabilizer last night with plans of going back to the stock setup using the RC stabilizer shock. As luck would have it, I couldn't get the stabilizer to fit in the stock location right and it was getting dark - so pulled it completely off with the plans of tackling it today. Driving in to work this morning - I noticed a couple of things:
  • JK Drove like a charm! No bump steer - no wandering - nothing! It's like there was no difference with or without the steering stabilizer.
  • The Snap/Pop noises that's been frustrating me for the last several months is also GONE!!! Not sure what caused it, but taking the RC Dual Stabilizer off seems to have fixed that issue!

Anyway, figured I'd update this thread with the results

EDIT: Guess I was overexcited on this - the last item I listed has not yet been resolved
  • And lastly, my steering issues seem to have disappeared as well - had a problem with the steering wheel being dead center on a straight road, then the first right turn I took and straightened back up, the steering wheel would be off to the right [10 'o clock - 4 'o clock position]; the next left turn I took would bring the steering wheel back dead center. No more issues with that either!!

Last edited by interceptor_1972; 05-05-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help locating this "snap clank" noise