Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Help With Rear Shocks

Old 07-26-2017, 06:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Help With Rear Shocks

I have a 2016 Jeep Wrangler 2 door with a 4 inch BDS suspension lift with 35 inch tires. I camp and hunt a lot. I tow a 4 x 8 trailer with my ATV and camping gear. My problem is the rear end sags a lot when the trailer is loaded. Is there a different shock to install to help with this problem or any other recommendations. I camp a lot and hunt , so it's easy to get the Jeep down the trails where I hunt. I don't rock climb or anything like that. Any help would be great. This is my first Jeep. Thanks
Old 07-26-2017, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

It's not the shock that you need to address. It's the rear coils. You might consider the OME heavy duty coils.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:54 AM
JK Newbie

OME heavy duty coils. Is that the brand name? I'm new at this so I don't know all the abbreviations. How do I know what coil weight to get.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Call them and ask their recommendation with your current mods and the tongue weight of your trailer loaded.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozzmann
OME heavy duty coils. Is that the brand name? I'm new at this so I don't know all the abbreviations. How do I know what coil weight to get.
Old Man Emu is the brand. They do make a heavy duty version. Warning - they will ride rough when you're not loaded down.

As the fellow above said, perhaps give BDS a shout and see what they tell you.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to help you out bud, your springs are the load bearing member while your shocks are motion dampeners that absorb energy to resist undesired energy feedback from the tire/spring as well as provide a variable amount of resistance based on the speed that the piston is moved. So a shock is not load bearing, it has no interest in how much of the shaft is in or out, it only cares how fast the shaft moves. A slow steady motion has less resistance in the shock while a hard/sharp motion forces the shock to provide greater resistance.

By changing your spring to one like the OME HD, you change the spring rate to support the added load of your trailer, but you suffer this increased spring rate during the 98% of life that your not pulling the trailer. Depending on your situation and vehicle use, you may be far better served to use a Firestone, Air-Lift or Ride-Rite air bag that can be quickly firmed up with a bicycle tire pump for trailer towing and also quickly relieved of air for your normal commuting use.

If your a rock crawler with a JK built for serious articulation and you use it as such, an air bag would be something you would not like as it could become a limit to axle drop/rise during extreme articulation. But if your a mild trail or overland type of user, it could be a very enticing solution that allows you to maintain factory ride for day to day and load carrying ability for your trailering excursions. It is also not expensive at $90 and is easy to install.
https://www.amazon.com/LIFT-60817-10...air+lift+60817

Air-Lift has a direct fit kit for you, part number 60817.

https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/60817/
Old 07-26-2017, 08:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I would suggest a weight distribution hitch setup. I towed a 5000 pound toyhauler with such a setup. I could make my Jeep sit level with a very heavy tongue weight. It drives better when level. Another thing : put as much crap in the trailer as you can instead of inside the Jeep. This will take weight off if the back axle and transfer it to the trailer axle.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks for all the help

[

I Am going to order the Airlift bags. This makes the most sense for me. Thanks for all the help

QUOTE=larry0071;4299434]Just to help you out bud, your springs are the load bearing member while your shocks are motion dampeners that absorb energy to resist undesired energy feedback from the tire/spring as well as provide a variable amount of resistance based on the speed that the piston is moved. So a shock is not load bearing, it has no interest in how much of the shaft is in or out, it only cares how fast the shaft moves. A slow steady motion has less resistance in the shock while a hard/sharp motion forces the shock to provide greater resistance.

By changing your spring to one like the OME HD, you change the spring rate to support the added load of your trailer, but you suffer this increased spring rate during the 98% of life that your not pulling the trailer. Depending on your situation and vehicle use, you may be far better served to use a Firestone, Air-Lift or Ride-Rite air bag that can be quickly firmed up with a bicycle tire pump for trailer towing and also quickly relieved of air for your normal commuting use.

If your a rock crawler with a JK built for serious articulation and you use it as such, an air bag would be something you would not like as it could become a limit to axle drop/rise during extreme articulation. But if your a mild trail or overland type of user, it could be a very enticing solution that allows you to maintain factory ride for day to day and load carrying ability for your trailering excursions. It is also not expensive at $90 and is easy to install.
https://www.amazon.com/LIFT-60817-10...air+lift+60817

Air-Lift has a direct fit kit for you, part number 60817.

https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/60817/[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Need Help With Rear Shocks