Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with tire sizes for 16"

Old 02-23-2007, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with tire sizes for 16"

I'm thinking of picking up some 16X8 with 4.5" backspacing. It's a daily driver with no lifts and without the use of any spacers. The most important is that it would not rub at full turn. What size tires are right for this application? I see some people are using 285/75/16s. Any thoughts?
Old 02-23-2007, 01:47 PM
brz
JK Enthusiast

i have that setup right now. no rubbing on road.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:21 PM
JK Newbie

I am running the same 285/75R16 Nitto Terra Grabbers on 16X8 rims with 5" backspacing. My wheels come maybe 1/4" outside of the fenders. 4.5" of backspacing should move your tires out another half inch. I think 4.5" is the sweet spot on a stock suspension, but anything from 4 to 5 inches of backspacing should be fine.

Also be aware that tire dealers talk in terms of offset, not backspacing. I found it led to some confusion in my wheel selection with Discount Tire. Just for clearity... on a 8" wide rim, 4" of backspace is 0 offset, +12mm offset is 5" of backspace. It sounds like you would like +6mm offset rims or 4.5" of backspace. (Please correct me if I am wrong here guys!)

On the street I have no rubbing issues so far. Offroad has yet to be tested:toung:

I'm getting my ECU flashed tomorrow for the larger tire size.

Good luck with your tire and wheel selection. I know I spent a few weeks researching my options! I am happy how it turned out though

Quick Reply: Need help with tire sizes for 16"