Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need help with Wheel backspacing issue

Old 10-16-2012, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Wheel backspacing issue

I have decided to purchase the AEV Savagre's in black to go on my JKU Rubicon. I will be installing the Teraflex 4" Full Flexarm lift. Does anyone know definitively whether the Savegre's will rub with a 37x12.5 Goodyear MTR/K if I do not run spacers, due to the backspacing of the Savegre wheel. I'd rather not run spacers if I can avoid it. I am also loooking at the TOYO's (37x13.5) as an option as well, so it may be the case that the TOYO's would rub but the more narrow Goodyears won't, or it may be that both will rub. I don't know for sure as there seems to be conflicting info on here and other places I have looked, but I would like to know before dropping the $ to buy them. Seems there are a lot of knowledgeable folks on here who may know so Thanks for any help and it is greatly appreciated. Below is a link to another thread from this site that talks about it a little.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/spon...wheels-157619/

Thanks,
Michael
Old 10-16-2012, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm running Pintlers which have the same backspacing on a RK 3.5" lift with 37" MTRs, tires rub on the control arms.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

can't you just put a washer or two on the turn stopper?
my 35's rubbed with RK but not anymore.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Great pic illustration

Originally Posted by CH10
I'm running Pintlers which have the same backspacing on a RK 3.5" lift with 37" MTRs, tires rub on the control arms.
That's good info. I did think that the back spacing was a little more on the Savegres than the Pintlers but I could be wrong. That would cause them to rub even more than yours are if so. I was thinking their back spacing is 5.2. Thanks for the pic that helps a lot.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flytojungho
can't you just put a washer or two on the turn stopper?
my 35's rubbed with RK but not anymore.
Looks like that may be an option but I don't know enough to know if that is truly viable for this situation. Further guidance and the effects of doing that would be great to hear from you or anyone else that can explain it further.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scubaskier
Looks like that may be an option but I don't know enough to know if that is truly viable for this situation. Further guidance and the effects of doing that would be great to hear from you or anyone else that can explain it further.
as in putting a washer or two on the turn stopper? only effect that I see is that you'll lose some turning radius. As for mine, I inserted 1 washer per side and i don't even notice that much decrease in the turning radius. take a look at the write up on project-jk
Old 10-16-2012, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flytojungho
as in putting a washer or two on the turn stopper? only effect that I see is that you'll lose some turning radius. As for mine, I inserted 1 washer per side and i don't even notice that much decrease in the turning radius. take a look at the write up on project-jk
That's exactly what I was getting at. I haven't read the write up on Project Jk but thanks for directing me to it. I was assuming that the only way using the washers would help would be to restrict the turn radius in order to keep the tire from turning inward as much. Not sure I like that "fix" but will read the write up and consider it and educate myself further to see if that makes sense for me. Anyone else that can speak to this fix and how much it restricts your ability to turn as sharp as you may like?

Quick Reply: Need help with Wheel backspacing issue