JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Need opinions on which lift for new jku (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/need-opinions-lift-new-jku-333316/)

dozer311 04-29-2016 06:50 PM

Need opinions on which lift for new jku

Just traded in our jk for a '16 jku sport and I'm starting to research a lift and tires as this will be step 1 to our build. I had a 3" bds coil lift on my JK and did NOT like the ride quality. Sure bds has a great warranty and it felt tough on the trail but lets be real, my wife and I won't be on the trails that much with our new 4 door.
We want either a 2.5-3" lift. I want to know is there any certain kit or brand that maintains a good on road feel???? Also, if we do a 2.5 and 35's what's an average we can expect to spend and what all is needed to go into this?? Lift, tires, wheels... Brake lines? Drive shafts? Regearing?
Thanks for the help!

Granite959 04-29-2016 07:34 PM

I love my metalcloak game changer 3.5" lift. It rides so awesome and talk about street performance I can corner now!

Granite959 04-29-2016 07:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am a little bigger with flat fenders and 37s but 35s would go great with stock fenders.

Albino Lizard 04-29-2016 07:48 PM

If you want stock feel and handling throw on a 2" budget boost (spacer lift) and cut your fenders/air dam to fit 35's. Everything will feel like stock, because it is.

I had an aev 2" kit on my jku before my coilovers. You can do alot with that and 35's. Armor up and you will be fine. My only suggestion is to use shock post extensions instead of the aev relocation brackets.

I'm a big Metal Cloak fan. Those guys have been cool every time I stopped by. Its usually because I'm in a bind and they have everything in stock. I'm running a full set of duroflex control arms on the rear axle of my jeep. They are great.

karls10jk 04-29-2016 08:11 PM

I cruise 95/ 395/ 495 every month or so and I'm content with my mismatched parts, though it's no stock ride. While I like my rock krawler/ Rancho combo, I wouldn't be opposed to trying aev, synergy, or metalcloak.

Biginboca 04-30-2016 02:14 AM

Some of your questions are answered in the first sticky on the top of this forum "My thoughts on lifts..."

I think for what you are describing a 2" budget boost would be the ticket.

RubiKing 04-30-2016 02:57 AM

I plan on getting a Teraflex 2.5 budget boost with shocks for my daily driver.

dozer311 04-30-2016 05:35 AM

I've heard a lot of great things about metal cloak as well and really like their 2.5 GC it's just really expensive. So with a budget boost, it just feels like the first time on the trail that shit would break??? We live 2.5 hrs from Rausch Creek and will be going there. Yes I want good ride quality but also something good on the trail with some articulation.

Antonio5664 04-30-2016 05:45 AM

Find a local club and go ride in different jeeps with different brands of lifts. Your asking for opinions it's not going to get you anywhere people are biased when it comes to lifts. Me personally I run a rubi express 2.5 with toyo 35's and keep up with the big boys in my 4 wheel drive club.

Albino Lizard 04-30-2016 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by dozer311 (Post 4212453)
I've heard a lot of great things about metal cloak as well and really like their 2.5 GC it's just really expensive. So with a budget boost, it just feels like the first time on the trail that shit would break??? We live 2.5 hrs from Rausch Creek and will be going there. Yes I want good ride quality but also something good on the trail with some articulation.

articulation is totally dependent upon shock travel and nothing else. All other parts just help make it easier or minimize wear.