Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need some Advice

Old 05-04-2011, 04:21 PM
LGX
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some Advice

Hey All,

I'm interested in getting a small lift for my JK. I was thinking of getting a spacer kit that would give me an additional .5"-1.0" lift, so nothing major.

I've notice that they offer both kits with the spacers and new shocks as well as kits with just the spacers that would presumably use the factory shocks. Any advice on which one is a better choice? Are there advantages to buying the kits with new shocks?

Utimatley I would then like to upgrade to some larger tires as well, I was thinking somewhere between 30"-32" and anywere between 9"-12" wide, for some reason I think the wider tires look better. Anyone know what the biggest/widest tire I could get on the stock 16" rims would be? Or is it better to by larger rims? I would prefer no rubbing.

A little about my Jeep, it's 2009 X, base model (Cheap). It's my daily driver and I don't do much in the way of off roading.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

...almost in the same boat. don't want a "lift-kit" per se but wouldn't mind a slight boost with some new shocks and, if proper, new coils also.

...does one replace BOTH the shock AND the coils at the same time generally?
Old 05-04-2011, 04:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Well, you will probably want to get new wheels. Stock x wheels are 7.5" wide I believe, if you want the wider look, you will need wider wheels. For what you are looking to do you don't really need a lift, but want and need are two different things and I get that. I have an 07 x JKU and ran 285/75/16's on the stock wheels with no problems. I upgraded to 16x8 procomps w/ 4" BS. Back space is something you will need to address with wider wheels too.

Last edited by Orangeav; 05-04-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rripror
...almost in the same boat. don't want a "lift-kit" per se but wouldn't mind a slight boost with some new shocks and, if proper, new coils also.

...does one replace BOTH the shock AND the coils at the same time generally?
The better choice is to buy a budget boost lift with coil spacers and new shocks (coil spring budget boost will have better ride quality as would better shocks). It will be cheap and give you what your looking for.

When you are lifting a vehicle you may need longer shocks depending on the lift height. In the majority of the situations you would change the coil and the shocks at the same time. There are other options and people do run stock shocks on small lifts.

Quick Reply: Need some Advice