Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

need some opinions on best setup for 37's or 38's

Old 07-27-2012, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some opinions on best setup for 37's or 38's

Hi guys, I have a stock 2010 JKU auto 4wd and I'm getting ready to take the plunge into the money pit

Here is what I'm thinking and I would love some feedback

Either

BDS 4.5 long arm kit or Teraflex 4" long arm kit
Toyo open country MT 37x14.50x15

or

BDS 6.5 long arm... the 6" Teraflex is a significant jump in price
Toyo open country MT 38x15.50x16

I probably won't have money right away to do much else but I would plan on getting new drive shafts, 5:13 or 5:38 gears axle sleeve and gussets for the front axle, flat fenders... for now I'll chop the stock fenders

I'd love hear from people with similar setups what worked and what doesn't... Can i get away with just getting the lift, tires and wheels or would I wait until I have the $$ to do it all at once

Are there any issues with going to 38's vs 37's?

Thanks guys
Old 07-28-2012, 05:25 AM
JK Newbie

forgot to add that I live in South Fl so it's mostly mud around here... oh and I'm new here... awesome forum! here's to my new obsession
Old 07-28-2012, 05:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well you can get away with a 4 inch lift, flat fenders and 3.50bs or less wheels to run 37. I would look into a Dana 44 front if you don't have a rubicon. The endless amount of ways to run 37s.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tonka_yellow
Well you can get away with a 4 inch lift, flat fenders and 3.50bs or less wheels to run 37. I would look into a Dana 44 front if you don't have a rubicon. The endless amount of ways to run 37s.
Thanks for the info. i would love to get a new axle but i dont have the extra coin right now to swing it. I was thinking about adding a axle sleeve and gussets for the front.

As far as wheels go what would you recommend for a 3.5 BS. The lowest i could find were Rock Crawlers with a 3.75 BS. I wanna keep the cost of wheels around $150 or less each.

I wanna run the biggest widest wheel i can without having to get new axles.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrodsky

Thanks for the info. i would love to get a new axle but i dont have the extra coin right now to swing it. I was thinking about adding a axle sleeve and gussets for the front.

As far as wheels go what would you recommend for a 3.5 BS. The lowest i could find were Rock Crawlers with a 3.75 BS. I wanna keep the cost of wheels around $150 or less each.

I wanna run the biggest widest wheel i can without having to get new axles.
This is pretty old but i think you should get 35's before 37 or higher because from what i have read the d30 dont hold up with anything bigger than 35's there are people that say it will hold up but i like to play it safe i dont want to risk breaking stuff because its my daily driver but thats just me thats why im going to run 35's with a 2.5 inch lift and sleeves gussets only until i can buy a d60 for front and rear
Old 11-19-2012, 05:38 PM
JK Freak

Since it is your plan to get the flat fenders anyway,,, I would research the lowest lift you can get away with, with the best flex. If you know you're not going over 38's, and you're going to flatten out the fenders,then you don't want to go too tall. The lower the center of gravity the better! I see posts on here about stock jeep suspensions with 37's. I would not recommend this, as the flex just isn't there. I know I havent been the biggest help, but just my 2 cents. Good luck making your jeep yours!

Quick Reply: need some opinions on best setup for 37's or 38's