Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a specific lift kit

Old 03-28-2007, 08:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a specific lift kit

Gotta few questions for those of you more fluent in vehicle modifications

Basics:
I want a suspension lift of no more than 3 " and no less than 2"
I would like to be able to install it myself
I want a quality kit that has decent suspension.. so i dont bounce all around

Questions:
Kits that meet the above basics?
What are the basic steps and equipment needed for an install?
How many people do you need to install?
Approximate time of install?
Anything else i should know?

I know this is a detailed post and I am really greatful for any and all information you all are willing to post.

Respectfully,

Jarrod - 07JKX
Old 03-28-2007, 08:46 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Theres a search function on this site that will come in real handy here...the opinions are wide and varying on lifts, so I suggest you search for lift 3" and lift 2.5" and you'll find plenty of things to consume your time.

I only say this because theres over a 100 threads on lifts I'd bet, if not more...and its unnecessary to rehash it again.

That being said, I'd say go for the Full Traction 3" Ultimate with the gas shocks. I hear it rides like stock and a lot of people recommend FT as well as Teraflex for the 3" variety. Thats what I'm eyeing myself for when my JK comes in.

Last edited by JackMac4; 03-28-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you are looking for a 2-3" lift you will find that pretty much all the suspension manufacturers make quality components. Some more than others, but if it does the job and lasts over time who cares? If you are looking to keep stock ride don't forget to add adjustable track bars and control arms. The FT Ultimate lift comes with all of these things. You can also add these items a la carte over time. I think the FT kits as well as the 2.5" skyjacker with a 3/4 spacer in the front are great setups. At 2.5" you can afford not to get adjustable control arms and still keep a pretty decent ride. Both of these options will run 35" tires.

Lift installation will take about 4-6 hours (more towards the 5-6 side if you haven't done one before). You will need a set of ratchets and sockets (metric and SAE), a couple of jacks and a set of 4 jack stands. It also helps to have a couple of wrenches and a tube to slip over tools for leverage. If you do not have these things and decide on buying some make sure to get really heavy duty jack stands. It will make you feel a lot more comfortable working on the car than some of the pencil think ones out there. You can install a kit on your own, but it really helps to have a partner even if its just to hold something up for a few seconds. Before installing the kit or deciding on one even, check out WOL's suspension write ups on project-jk. That will give you an idea of what installing a lift is like as well as suspension info on at least two quality set ups.

-Living Still
Old 03-28-2007, 09:50 AM
JK Super Freak

You will also need to have (or borrow) a torque wrench that goes up to 150ft/lb. You will only need up to 130ft/lb for some of the bolts, but you do need a torque wrench to tighten some of the suspension bolts/nuts.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you are looking for only mild lift and ease of install you may want to check out the Budget Boosts as well.

I just installed the Teraflex 2.5" BB myslelf last weekend. Install is pretty simple and was done in about 4 hours. I was at a friends house to do the lift since I had never done anything with a jeep suspention before but he ended up leaving me alone to do it myself. I spent alot of time searching for tools in his garage so it would go quicker if you have all your own stuff and know where it is.

The BB alows 35's and maintains the stock ride quality. No other mods are needed for the lift but I'm thinking of adding a rear track bar or a bracket since the axle is now about 1/4" off center.

Quick Reply: Need a specific lift kit