Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need tires - My Experience with Tirerack

Old 03-17-2007, 09:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need tires - My Experience with Tirerack

I know the tire subject has been beaten to death but I just had an experience that really ticked me off - I ordered a set of 35x12.50-15 Goodyear MT/R's from Tirerack online but they called me and said they are too big to ship and I would have to pay to ship via freight. This was after their website quoted me shipping at $128 for a set of 5 and my order was already placed! Kinda ticked me off - they shouldn't be selling them online, quoting a shipping price and then wanting to jack it up after the fact. Anybody else have an experience like this with them? I had always had good experiences with them in the past but I canceled the order and figure I will find somplace else or buy locally. I really want the Toyo MT's anyway (they are 35x13.50-15) but they are a little tough to find. Any suggestions on where to RELIABLY get tires online at a decent price?
Old 03-18-2007, 05:11 AM
JK Freak

All of my experiences with Tirerack has been very superb. What you are dealing with is the fact that trying to run an ecommerce site with such a large variety of items will have many difficult issues for not only the company, but for the customer. At least they called you.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

i'd have to call bullsh!t on tirerack, i work for ups and have delivered much bigger tires than 35's, i delivered a set of 40 in mud grapplers once. so 35's would be no problem. but i will had that a $128 quote for five 35's is rather cheap.

just my .o2

ap
Old 03-18-2007, 06:34 AM
JK Freak

Try discount tire. They quoted me $263 shipped per tire for my Nitto's. Even if you dont buy from them, you can purchase a lifetime balance/rotation for $50 or so.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

Discount tire is the way to go. If they carry the tire you want they are usually cheaper than anywhere else and they have free shipping. Even for just one tire.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:03 AM
JK Super Freak

I got those exact tires (Open Country 35x13.5x15) from tires-easy.com. When I ordered, the thing on their site said "ready to ship in 3-5 days" but it was actually more like two weeks.

They quoted me something like $190 to ship five of them, and they stuck to it. They also had a good price on the tires themselves. They shipped via UPS, and I was a little surprised to find that they just slapped a UPS shipping label on each one (i.e. no box or anything). Never ordered tires through the mail before, but it makes perfect sense -- it's a giant hunk of rubber after all. The UPS guy did make a lot of fun of me ("are you building a monster truck or something? wtf?"). Once they did ship, they got here extremely fast (they ship from SoCal).

Anyway, besides the initial wait time for them to come in, I was very happy with the experience. Looking at their site now, it looks like they're already in stock, so you may be able to avoid the wait entirely if you go with them.

No affiliation, my two cents, grain of salt, etc.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:36 PM
JK Newbie

I am going to have to agree with aiian, after looking today I have found these all over the web for comparable pricing to tirerack and pretty much EVERYONE quotes reasonable ground shipping via UPS or Fedex Ground (Discount Tire, Summit Racing, etc). Only problem I am finding is that nobody has this in stock. Everyone seems to be backordered. I, for one, will not be doing business with Tirerack again. I don't know what they were trying to pull but they have lost me as a customer. Meanwhile my frustrating tire search goes on..
Old 03-18-2007, 05:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Orange68RS
Only problem I am finding is that nobody has this in stock. Everyone seems to be backordered.
Erhm... tires-easy.com has them in stock according to their site, and based on my experience you'll get them in a day or two (depending, I'm sure, on where you live and how long it takes UPS).
Old 03-18-2007, 11:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mmccurdy
Erhm... tires-easy.com has them in stock according to their site, and based on my experience you'll get them in a day or two (depending, I'm sure, on where you live and how long it takes UPS).
Thanks for the tires-easy.com mention. They do have good prices and a great selection but I should clarify. I am looking for the blackwalls and the tires-easy.com website says these are special order. Just a personal preference but I don't like the "put the white letters to the inside" look. You can still see them, especially on a lifted vehicle. That and the OWL version is more expensive than the blackwalls. I may give them a call and see how long they would take to get on special order but I am kinda thinking Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips now too. From what I have read they may fit my needs better due to the siping. I don't have to be in any big hurry I guess - I just ordered the JK a week and a half ago.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just a suggestion and I am in no way associated with them but try Jason over at 4x4groupbuy.com He is a straight shooter and can get some great prices on both the tires and shipping. I have worked with them many times! Great experiences! just my .o2

Quick Reply: Need tires - My Experience with Tirerack