Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Front Driveshaft. Pinion Yoke, or No?

Old 03-01-2018, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Front Driveshaft. Pinion Yoke, or No?

I'm going to be ordering/installing a new front driveshaft, and have the option of installing a new pinion yoke along with it. Are there any benefits to installing a new pinion yoke? And downsides?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2018, 11:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

When bolting up to the factory flange, you will be keeping the DS u-joint a bit further from the diff, slightly impacting the angle of the shaft. That said, when replacing the yoke, you're removing the nut holding your pinion, which then runs the risk that you get it torqued properly when re-installing. Too tight or not tight enough, you're impacting pinion preload. The torque on that nut isn't as simple as XXX ft lbs like everything else on the jeep. I bolted a new Adams to the factory flange. I have a couple buddies that replaced with new yokes. None of us have had issues with either set up.
The following users liked this post:
Jeep in the West (03-02-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
When bolting up to the factory flange, you will be keeping the DS u-joint a bit further from the diff, slightly impacting the angle of the shaft. That said, when replacing the yoke, you're removing the nut holding your pinion, which then runs the risk that you get it torqued properly when re-installing. Too tight or not tight enough, you're impacting pinion preload. The torque on that nut isn't as simple as XXX ft lbs like everything else on the jeep. I bolted a new Adams to the factory flange. I have a couple buddies that replaced with new yokes. None of us have had issues with either set up.
IMO I would stick with the factory flange set up just because of this^^^^^

Last summer we changed out both DS on a friends 2014 JKUR with Adams 1310 DS with yokes.
Didn’t get the rear pinion nut torqued correctly and he had some humming from the rear diff.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:41 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

flanges are typically stronger then yolks but may be tougher to find parts on a trail or away from home if you have issues. Yolk with strap kit ($7) is quick to fix on parts are cheap.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you all for the advice. I think based on what you said, I’m just going to give the yoke a pass.

Quick Reply: New Front Driveshaft. Pinion Yoke, or No?