Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Gears and Pinion Bearing Goes out

Old 03-08-2009, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how exactly did the gears get destroyed? Did the bearing seize or blew apart? I only ask because my jeep is at the shop getting the front pinion bearing replaced. It was making noise after 5.13's were installed and I'm still using the same gears.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:28 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=tkob1060;988497] so thats why everyone in TC has a gun [QUOTE]

I think you mean TX, and yes... it makes you so mad you are ready to shoot someone. I have to admit the whole "everyone in Texas has a gun" thing is not 100% true... but I would say it is over 90% lol. We have a new law here called the "castle law" that made it legal to carry a concealed gun in the Jeep without a permit. It also authorizes the use of deadly force for everything from carjacking to them running off with your stereo. You can even shoot and kill a robber leaving your neighbors house with a sack of goodies. You can give him a one way ticket to judgment day as long as that neighbor says he asked you to keep an eye on his property. Just think how the law protects your own stuff.

Anyway, back to gears... Everytime I see what they did to you nkotb i mean tkob it gets me pissed off. Why that shop did not just say "We cannot do this job, it is over our heads" I cannot grasp. How could anyone think you can just leave parts out??? crazy. I really hope mine are set up right.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:52 PM
JK Newbie

The thing about everyone in Tx having a gun isn't true. But both my wife and I carry.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yukon should not warranty these gears I dont see how it is there fault.

David
Old 03-09-2009, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

After having a 3 way call with Yukon, shop and myself the shop went ahead and covered the parts and work. The preload was set to 12 inch lbs but should be between 6-9 in lbs for used bearings. Hopefully I will have my jeep back in a couple of days. Thanks everyone for the comments.

This shop came hightly recommended by everyone in town. Even when I call other shops they said he was the best in town for diff work.

Last edited by 1stWaffleMkr; 03-09-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 1stWaffleMkr
After having a 3 way call with Yukon, shop and myself the shop went ahead and covered the parts and work. The preload was set to 12 inch lbs but should be between 6-9 in lbs for used bearings. Hopefully I will have my jeep back in a couple of days. Thanks everyone for the comments.

This shop came hightly recommended by everyone in town. Even when I call other shops they said he was the best in town for diff work.
Good for you. It's better when things like this get worked out amicably than by going to war. Maybe the shop has learned something by this.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:30 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
Yukon should not warranty these gears I dont see how it is there fault.

David
I did not really mean yukon should warranty them as much as I meant the shop should cover everything. since the shop supplied the parts and labor they should cover every bit of it. I think that they should cover every component required for the install as long as the manufacturer. I used to sell auto parts, and I have never seen a bearing without a warranty. If the shop decided to cut that corner they should cover the used bearing as long as timken or whoever would warranty a new one. Now if they asked you if you wanted a new one, and you said no $15 is too much please re-use the old one. Then you are at fault. I don't think they gave you the choice, and if they made that decision it is all on them.

congrats. man. I would get another shop to inspect the install. Then I would never use that retarded shop again.

Last edited by bigbluejk; 03-09-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:24 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stWaffleMkr

In that case, it could very well have been an honest mistake. It DOES happen. Glad you're gonna get it taken care of. Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: New Gears and Pinion Bearing Goes out