Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New to this. Help

Old 02-28-2012, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to this. Help

I have a black 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport completely stock. And at the moment I have $200-$400 to put into it for the time being. Whats the first thing I should get with this money? I know its not that much but I want to at least do something.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gnutt
I have a black 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport completely stock. And at the moment I have $200-$400 to put into it for the time being. Whats the first thing I should get with this money? I know its not that much but I want to at least do something.
You will probably need a tow setup with a hitch and wiring. You can get a complete setup from Quadratec that includes a 3500 lb trailer hitch, a plug and play wiring harness and a hitch cover for $89.99. That is what I got for my 2012 JKU Rubicon that is on order.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gnutt

Rubicon rock rails are functional and improve the appearance of the Sport. You can find them here or on craigslist for $100 or so.
Also, unless you have the Sport S, you may want to upgrade the wheels and tires. A nearly new set of Sahara 18" can be found for $400 or so. Rubicon 17" for around $750.

PS. Don't believe the high prices people ask for nearly new take-offs. They forget that anyone who is going to pay what they ask will probably want aftermarket. Also, they forget that the stuff isn't going to appreciate in value, while cluttering their garages.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

First thing I did was find brand new Sahara side step take offs for $50. I know they are not meant for off road but it really cleans up the look for a daily driver. Makes it so you are not looking right at the undercarriage frame rails when standing a few feet away. Took about 15 minutes to install.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Do plan on wheeling the jeep:

Rocks?

Trails?

Overland?

Or just enjoying it as an only streeted DD?
Old 02-28-2012, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Saharaunlmtd
Do plan on wheeling the jeep:

Rocks?

Trails?

Overland?

Or just enjoying it as an only streeted DD?
Pretty much dirt, or mud (it hardly rains though). And besides that street.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well get some trail gear. Tow hook, tow strap, shovel/axe ect... Or if you got a 2 door you can get some 4 door take off springs. You could also get some off road lights for your windshield. Pretty much you can do so many different things its crazy
Old 02-28-2012, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nhk19
OK....I once had a 2000 TJ with 2.5 lift and 33s. It had full floater axles front & rear with ARB air lockers and other extras. Had to sell it to get a pick-up in 2003 for my job. Now....just got a 2012 JK 4DR Rubicon in Oct. And I'm ready to customize. I know I will sleeve the front axle and put 37s on it. It is going big.....unless someone talks me out of 37s. I plan on 5.38 gears. New Tom Woods drive shafts. Now....someone tell me. AEV lift or Rock Krawler? Poison Spyder bumpers or AEV? Any other suggestions would be truly appreciated. I will never say I'm rich but I have saved enough to do it right and want something tough. My wife says it must be within reason but she is fully supportive. I also will drive it for work....for groceries and to pick up the kids at school. I live in PA and it thus sees or will see snow. Also plan on some trail rides with other Jeep enthusiasts. Am I going in the right direction???????
Slow down dude don't hijack threads! But any way for 120.00 you could do a zone 2 inch lift and get yourself a CB radio.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:37 PM
JK Freak

well the first thing i did to mine was level it out with a Teraflex leveling kit for $136.00 ...then i got a Dynomax turbo installed for $139.00 installed...looks better and sounds better for less that $300.00
Old 02-28-2012, 07:23 PM
JK Newbie

Go with the leveling kit and wheel spacers. Looks and it is functional too!

Quick Reply: New to this. Help