Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new tires? suggestions?

Old 04-06-2014, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new tires? suggestions?

hey all, ive been looking around for new tires for my 14 2 door jk sport, in 285/75r16. ive looked at the cooper st maxx tires, but im worried that the load range E will give me a harsh ride. anyone have experience with this tire or load? also if i could get pics or personal thoughts on the following tires, that'd be great.

-cooper st maxx
-procomp xtreme at
-hankook dynapro atm rf10
-general grabber at2

if theres any other tire out there that anyone would like to suggest feel free to suggest them. duratracs and bfg at ko's are already ruled out tho, soo dont suggest either of those haha. i do 70% street 30% off road, rough trails but no big rocks/climbing/deep mudding and these tires are summer only. going on stock jk with aftermarket rims, 4.5 bs soo im sure the above size will fit
Old 04-06-2014, 07:22 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

'Can't speak to those tires specifically, but I recently switched to GY Adventure's in 285/70-17 (Load Range E), which are available in your size as well. Sever Snow Rated (Mountain Snowflake branded). Had the same concerns as you. They ride just as good as the previous Load Range C tires did (34 PSI), and they appear squish out well when aired down (pic below). To me, tires are complicated, lot more to how they ride and flex than the load range.
Click image for larger version

Name:	0403141640a.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	543829

Edit: BTW, stock wheels, no wheel spacers, stock bump-stops (with 2" lift) and no-rub at full articulation with washers on steering stop. Probably would be fine with no lift unless it was compressing the bump-stop extremely hard.

Last edited by Mr.T; 04-06-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:45 PM
JK Junkie

Look at Goodyear Duratracs, good off-road and also good in rain and snow

matthew
Old 04-06-2014, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Take a look at cepek fun country they a at mt crossover
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2282724686.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	543836  
Old 04-07-2014, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

I have no real world experience with any of the tires you are looking at other than I was seriously considering getting the Cooper ST Maxx. I really like how they look and that they are a hybrid design but like you I was concerned about load range E giving a harsh ride and heavy tires ruining my performance. I also liked what I read about the Pro Comp's and that they have a tread wear warranty. I know tread wear warranty is sort of a joke as I have never heard of a person being able to collect under one but it just makes me feel like they stand behind their product just a little more.
I ended up going cheap and getting Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S. They are load range D, have a 50K tread wear warranty and my father has had them on his truck for a little more than 20,000 miles and they still look almost new.
They are sitting at my installer right now waiting to go on tomorrow. I just couldn't pass on 285/70/17s for $160 a tire.

Quick Reply: new tires? suggestions?