Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Jeeper needing some advice

Old 03-01-2007, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Jeeper needing some advice

Hey everyone, first let me say I am going to have a lot of newbie questions. I come from the world of import tuner, but I hit some black ice the other day and totalled by 02 IS 300 :sad: Luckily I was okay. The good side is now I am going to get into an unlimited JK and can enjoy the world of the "jeep wave". I have been eyeing the JK since they were announced.

Obviously b/c of the supply difficulty and the need I have to get one quickly, my options are limited. It looks like I am either going to get a loaded silver S package X or a loaded Red Rock Sahara. I will be using my JK primarily as a daily driver (60 miles daily, mostly highway) with occassional moderate wheeling, no major rock crawling. Also I am going to use my JK for towing my 19' Rinker boat.

That being said, I am excited about my new JK...should take delivery by early next week. I have approx. $3,000 to put into the Jeep...right now. My goal is to make it a very capable off-road vehicle with an aggressive off-road look, while still maintaining some practical highway daily driverness. I wanted to get some advice and feedback from the experts here on the best way to spend that inital $$ and my plan. Here is what I am currently thinking:

1) Lift to accomodate at least 35" tires...but possibly 37" with minor mods, thinking 4" TeraFlex, 4" SuperLift or 3" Full Traction

2) All black (I think perferablly steel though I don't know) wheels with AT tires. Although I started trying to price and get a package for this and I need some help. Do people recommed 16" or 17" rims? I don't know about the bolt pattern or if I want 12.5", 13.5" or 14" tires or what. I like the look of the Pro Comp Rock Crawler Series 97 Black Monster Mod Wheel. For tires what do people think about GY Wrangler SilentArmor tires or Pro Comp tires or Firestone Destination AT? What size should I be looking at?

3) I really like the Shrockworks front bumper with the winch loop and PureJeep side rock rails. Not sure about rear bumper...

Okay everyone...help a Newbie out. Please post comments and thoughts about my plan and idea.

Thanks,
Mergs

Last edited by pmergler; 03-01-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:05 PM
JK Freak

if you get rims/tires right away, you're looking at dropping anywhere between $1500-2000 for 35" tires and 17" rims. if you're convinced that you want that right away, then you're definitely going to need the lift - i'd say stick with 3". from there, use your remaining cash to get a cold air intake and whatever other small niceties you can afford; perhaps some husky liners all around.

oh, and if you're looking to save a little cash, get the X instead of the Sahara. the Sahara isn't any more capable off-road compared to the X. with the Sahara you're paying extra for painted fender flares, stain resistant seats, and the slightly less crappy Infinity sound system. all of which you'll likely end up replacing/covering up anyways once the mod bug hits you.

sucks about your lex...hf with your jeep though.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:21 PM
JK Newbie

hey thanks for the feedback....actually a silver X is my first choice. The dealer is trying to get a dealer swap for it, but you know how popular these things are and getting one exactly like what I want in a short time frame is proving challenging for the dealer.

I think I def. want to get bigger tires first...which of course means wheels and a lift. What do people recommend 16" or 17" rims? Is one better for off-road vs highway? And what are the pros and cons of the different rim materials for off-roading: alloy, alum and steel? I saw the Pro Comp Rock Crawlers for under $100 online and the GY Wranglers were $140 at tirerack. So that would put me for 4 + spare at around $1,200. Am I missing something cause that seems better then 1500-2000? Sorry..tires are a lot more complicated in the off-road world then the street racing import tuner world..

Last edited by pmergler; 03-01-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:35 PM
JK Freak

well, same as with street racing, the bigger the rim (within reason), the more stable the handling is going to be. with a smaller rim, you're going to have a taller sidewall which will prove beneficial if you air-down your tires for off-roading (bigger footprint). personally, i'm tentatively planning on 33" tires with 17" rims. i think it's really just a personal aesthetic preference when you're talking about a 1" difference.

also, i didn't look at those tires/rims, but if you found what you wanted at the right price, then great; can't complain about less expenses! more mods overall that way, right? just make sure your wheels are 5 on 5 bolt pattern. the general consensus on backspacing is leaning towards 4.5" or so.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Smile

Do a thread search and look for Docwinkles white 4 door. He used 15" rims with 33x12.50 pro comp mud terrains. This setup does not require a lift. And in my opinion looks GREAT!! However, you can get the 15" rims and 35's and save a BIG chunk of money by using the 15" rims cause tires are so much cheaper for them and a lot of 15" rims are cheaper too. Go to www.summitracing.com and search for US wheel steel wheels. They have several options, are for sure good enough for a Jeep and they are priced extremely fair. I had a set on my CJ7 and they can handle 4wd abuse. This being said it saves you plenty of money for a great lift package.

I don't know enough about the lifts and what tires you can run with what so I'm not gonna touch base on those and possibly get something wrong. But I hope the tire/rim advice helps some.

As for whatever money left over I would get a Cool Air Intake and Exhaust for sure. Then just whatever other "little" stuff you could get. Husky Liners was a good thought, or maybe a bikini top, Tuffy lockin' console ect. Anyway, enjoy your Jeep AND welcome to the club....
and also just make you sure always wave to fellow Jeepers. Its a Jeep thing...
Old 03-02-2007, 04:06 AM
JK Newbie

First, welcome to the world of Jeep and 4wheeling, I would definately get some wheelin time in while stock to learn more about your Jeep and the capabilities of it, before lifting it.

Based on what your planning on doing with this, the towing, daily driver and moderate wheeling, I would recommend staying with 33's. I would get one of the Budget Lifts and run the 33's. Your Jeep will be quit capable of handling any trail with that set-up and still be fine for everything else.

Once you get into doing 35's & 37's you have to look into gears and axles for handling those tire and for being daily driver or towing as well.

Have fun with the Jeep.

Chris
Old 03-02-2007, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snwchris
...Based on what your planning on doing with this, the towing, daily driver and moderate wheeling, I would recommend staying with 33's. I would get one of the Budget Lifts and run the 33's. Your Jeep will be quit capable of handling any trail with that set-up and still be fine for everything else. ...
X2,

33's, a 2"Budget boost with the factory wheels will work great for mild wheeling. 37's require allot more than just a lift, tires and wheels in my opinion, I don't know what gears the X comes with but I bet even with 35'a and 4:10's it's gonna be a slug especially since you're used to driving a sports car,... then throw your boat behind it and major suckage, other thing you may want to consider... buy some real bumpers and a winch, bigger tires will get you into trouble but the winch will get you out and home...

Welcom to JEEP, Just Empty Every Pocket

PS, I used to be heavily into performance cars,...they were costing me way too much in speeding tickets and I was well onto my way to loosing my license or worse, killing myself or someone else, I'm glad I dropped the speed and bought a Jeep, I haven't had a speeding ticket since

Last edited by B-MAN; 03-02-2007 at 05:33 AM.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:48 AM
JK Newbie

Wow guys...great feedback. I greatly appreciate everyone's input. Since this is new it is great to get the expert advice. Obviously there is a million ways to approach things. I can't wait to start getting my wave on

Originally Posted by snwchris
First, welcome to the world of Jeep and 4wheeling, I would definately get some wheelin time in while stock to learn more about your Jeep and the capabilities of it, before lifting it. Chris
Never thought about that...great feedback, I will be sure to do that! My cousing has a 6" lift on his TJ with 37s and wheels part of a club...I will go with him a couple times. I think I can handle being the "small fry" in the group...for awhile. I am definitely going to order a pair of pure jeep side rockers and Shrockworks front bumper...love that look!

So I guess at this point since it is a DD + tow vehicle (and with the tow package means I will have the 4.10 axle ration...not the standard 3.21 that comes with the X) it sounds like a 2" lift running 33" is preferred and the max would be 35" on a 3" lift. Since I am getting the unlimited, I do like the look much better with the bigger lift and bigger tire. Obviously I am going to experience less passing power on 35's (especially when towing), but is it a DRAMATIC difference. I am not considering the 37" right now. But I did want a kit that I could build up into a 37" if the jeep becomes more of a mostly wheeling vehicle. That is why I liked the Full Traction, TeraFlex or SuperLift kits. Right now I am leaning toward 3" lift from one of those makers. I guess next would be tire size....leaning toward 35" but am now REALLY on the fence for the 33".

Originally Posted by ccdjeep
Do a thread search and look for Docwinkles white 4 door. He used 15" rims with 33x12.50 pro comp mud terrains. This setup does not require a lift. And in my opinion looks GREAT!! However, you can get the 15" rims and 35's and save a BIG chunk of money by using the 15" rims cause tires are so much cheaper for them and a lot of 15" rims are cheaper too. Go to www.summitracing.com and search for US wheel steel wheels. They have several options, are for sure good enough for a Jeep and they are priced extremely fair.
Great feedback, I checked out the US Steel Wheels and they look very similar to the Pro Comps I like, but they are$10-15 more a rim. Since the Pro Comps are allow is there a benefit to the steel? What are they? Will I get the benefits being a caual off-roader? I take it the stronger steel rim could handle a larger sidewall...which also means it could handle reducing more air for a larger footprint off roading? Might be important if I decide to run 33"s? These are all just thoughts, if some one could confirm that thinking is legit I would appreciate it. As for rim size...since it is a daily driver and I won't be any extreme off-roading or rock crawling, like out west, then I am thinking 16" rims...although obviously this means tires are more expensive then 17". Thanks for the reference on the steel wheels...I will check them out. I still really like the Pro Comp Crawlers and they seemed reasonably priced. I do have a question about bolt pattern, back spacing, etc. I never had to deal with that on my IS and I have heard a lot of talk about back spacing. Why would I want or not want to back space? Does back spacing have to do with the bolt pattern? I am taking it that 5 on 5 bolt pattern means 5 lugs on the axle and 5 lug holes on the rim? So a 5 on 6 would require an adapter (is that the back spacer?).

Originally Posted by B-MAN
PS, I used to be heavily into performance cars,...they were costing me way too much in speeding tickets
Yeah lucky for me I drive the same route each day and knew all the cop spots. It sucks in Ohio cops use almost 99% laser on highway, so it took me 3 tickets to discover all their places, but then I just got really good at slowing down before their spots. I will miss the sportiness. I really wanted both that way I could choose when I get up in the morning..do I speed past slow drivers or just run them over

Thanks again

Last edited by pmergler; 03-02-2007 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default try this

This should help on all of your backspacing, lug pattern ect questions.

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

As for advantages of the steel vrs. alloy wheels....I can't tell ya. Blue collared country boy just always got what he could afford and still looked good. but I can tell you this, I never had any problems with my steel rims. i.e. breaking, warping ect. Just keep poking around this forum, internet and especially wheel/tire shops. Find friends that work in these kinda places and your life will be much easier with your Jeep. Good luck!

Oh yeah, and the 5x5 bolt pattern is the rim pattern. 5 LUGS at a 5x5 pattern. TJ & YJ Wranglers have 5 lugs at a 5x4.5 pattern. CJ have 5 lugs at 5x5.5

Last edited by ccdjeep; 03-02-2007 at 10:40 PM. Reason: added
Old 03-04-2007, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got a 3" lift being done next week so I can run 35" tires on my unlimited X.

Lots of folks tried to sell me on getting new wheels to go to 35" since i "only" had 16" rims.

Well guess what? 315/75R16 will work just fine on a 3" lift according to the Dealership AND seceral off road houses around here. You just need 1.5 inch spacers.

In my case I am buying the 35" ATs from the Dealership as well as they beat every quote I got from everywhere else by a considerable amount, I'm getting 5 for the price of 4. But the really big thing is they are giving me $250 for my existing 30" wrangler ATs. which means for around $600 I'm switching out to 35" tires. NO NEW WHEELS! Spacers instead at like 1/10th the cost.

Desert Rat is doing my lift for me for less than $1000 including the spacers and the alignment.

Be patient and check around. Lots of folks want your money....

Quick Reply: Newbie Jeeper needing some advice