Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

NITTO MUD Grapplers / Soft riding tires?

Old 01-17-2009, 04:49 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NITTO MUD Grapplers / Soft riding tires?

I am about to buy some new Mud terrains (why I thought I could be happy with A/Ts I dunno). I am looking real hard at some Nitto Mud Grapplers. I am afraid they are going to be too rough though. I know many people on here have them. If you have them, how do they compare to other mud terrains you have had in the past? I know they are noisy, I don't care about that, but I do not want a harsh riding tire. In this size I don't have many options. Others are the BFG KM2 (which will cost me like $300 more), Kumho road venture MT (which I don't know anyone that has had), Hankook (which I am not crazy about the tread pattern on), and Toyo open country (expensive but nice).

I was going to get 37s, but now I am leaning toward 35s. Doesn't matter which I pick, the same exact brands are available in both sizes. 18" wheels really narrows choices. thanks for the help.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the nittos and love them to death I had them on a 07 cummins and got 55k out of them some people love em some people hate em if you dont mind the noise, tire pressure is the key with the wear I run about 28psi and my wear is great anything above 50 only the inside thread will wear good luck with your choice!

Last edited by NTXJK; 01-17-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:44 PM
JK Jedi

how is the ride comfort?
Old 01-17-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Junkie

Be sure to get then in a C load range. If you get D or E, they will ride pretty stiff. Yes you can adjust air pressure, but then they will not wear properly.

Take a look at the Cooper STT's also. Good agressive look, perform well, but also ride nice. And quieter than many other mud tires.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Smooth as hell, and they sing like a sonofabitch.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:05 PM
JK Jedi

I am not crazy about cooper tires. One time I was at the shop with my friend getting his toyota aligned and while they had his truck on the lift the mechanic said "look at this", and gave his cooper 31x10.50r15 A/T a spin. The tire wasn't round. The mechaninc said they all did that. I don't know if that is true, I have never owned a set myself. We have a cooper tire plant here so they are the cheapest in town usually.

Thank you for all the input, I really appreciate all the help. I cannot afford to buy the wrong thing. What I get I will be stuck with a long time.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:18 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I am not crazy about cooper tires. One time I was at the shop with my friend getting his toyota aligned and while they had his truck on the lift the mechanic said "look at this", and gave his cooper 31x10.50r15 A/T a spin. The tire wasn't round. The mechaninc said they all did that. I don't know if that is true, I have never owned a set myself. We have a cooper tire plant here so they are the cheapest in town usually.

Thank you for all the input, I really appreciate all the help. I cannot afford to buy the wrong thing. What I get I will be stuck with a long time.
I have had 5 different models of cooper tires (truck and passenger tires) through the years, never had an out of round issue, or balance issue. The slight out of round 'wobble' is often attributed to tires that are not warmed up fully, and have been sitting for a wile (couple of hours). Bias plys do this REALLY bad, radials not nearly as bad. I have always been very happy with them. And IMHO, you can't go wrong with an american owned and made tire in these times. BFG (french), Toyo (japanese), Nitto (korean), etc may make a fine tire, but all that money leaves the country.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:21 PM
JK Freak

I have ran cooper tires for a while now and love them. The warranty tells you that they stand behind there tires (nobody else has one like them that I know of). I know they weren't the best a couple of years ago but that was then. I am getting ready to get a pair for my jeep and can't pass them up.

Oh, I was the same way about running cooper tires, I didn't even think of them. I am glad I did now.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:25 PM
JK Junkie

how is the ride comfort?
Smooth with the right pressure 35x12.50, I had 33x13.50's on my xj and they grab everything on the road had to run dual stabilizers
Old 01-17-2009, 08:20 PM
JK Jedi

I appreciate everyone taking the time to input their opinion and experiences here. I have to admit it was like 7 or 8 years ago on the cooper tires. I had never seen anything like it. I didn't know any tires came like that, and the mechanic said they all were. It blew my mind. But that was years ago.

There is a place just like 2 miles from me that sells them, they also have kumhos. They burned me bad about 10 years ago, but I would maybe be willing to try them again. Every shop messes up sometimes. I had them put on some alum wheels and they over torqued them. I was going down the road and some of the studs sheared off on my right front. By the time I got stopped all but one were gone. I had a friend trailer me home (it was a Sunday, the place was closed) and I changed all the studs myself. I also re-torqued all of the nuts on the other wheels. I went to the place on Monday and showed them what happened and how everything was mega tight so maybe they could not do it to someone else that just spent $800 on wheels. They didn't apologize, thank me for letting them know, or offer to pay for the studs or nuts or anything. Quality. That was 10 years ago though, and isn't owned by cooper tire. It is just the closest place that sells them.

Thanks for all the replies.

Quick Reply: NITTO MUD Grapplers / Soft riding tires?