Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"no BUS" error troubleshooting

Old 08-07-2014, 01:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "no BUS" error troubleshooting

For the last couple of days, randomly (normally once or twice) while I am driving my dash will turn into a christmas tree, my windshield wipers will turn on, my radio dies, my gauges will die, and I will get an error message saying "no BUS"... Then the system resets and everything is back to normal, everything is still operational and I have no clue what could be causing this.

I originally thought it could be from a new license plate light I just recently wired up and maybe some of the actual copper wire was contacting the frame and causing a short but it just happened again without my lights on (i.e. no power being run through the license plate light wire) so I know thats not it.

Any ideas? Has anybody had this issue before?

The Jeep is still running perfectly, starts up normal and everything, just randomly for 2 or 3 seconds the system freaks out and then resets itself.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Something shorting out somewhere , or a lose connection someplace , I've seen it lose behind the gage cluster before . I'd find it if I was u . Look at a wiring diagram for your jeep and start checking for anything loose or bare wires . Your diagnostics port is right there by your left knee look there and make sure it's clean
Old 08-07-2014, 02:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its happened to me too, and in my case, I couldnt turn on any lights, use the power locks, and turning over the ignition wouldnt do a thing. When it reset and started, I took it to the dealership where they replaced the TIPM. Hasnt happened since, but I'm not holding my breath with the crappy electrical system in this Jeep.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

My problem with finding it lies in that it is not something that I can easily repeat as it is very sudden, short, and unpredictable... So it's not like I can mess around with wires until it goes away like a lot of people who have an issue similar to this
Old 09-10-2015, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mcsjk
For the last couple of days, randomly (normally once or twice) while I am driving my dash will turn into a christmas tree, my windshield wipers will turn on, my radio dies, my gauges will die, and I will get an error message saying "no BUS"... Then the system resets and everything is back to normal, everything is still operational and I have no clue what could be causing this.

I originally thought it could be from a new license plate light I just recently wired up and maybe some of the actual copper wire was contacting the frame and causing a short but it just happened again without my lights on (i.e. no power being run through the license plate light wire) so I know thats not it.

Any ideas? Has anybody had this issue before?

The Jeep is still running perfectly, starts up normal and everything, just randomly for 2 or 3 seconds the system freaks out and then resets itself.

Old thread I know.
I don't see an solution.
To the OP did you ever figure this out??
MY 08 JKUR is doing the exact same thing.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepster074
Old thread I know.
I don't see an solution.
To the OP did you ever figure this out??
MY 08 JKUR is doing the exact same thing.
Check your battery connections. One or both may be loose. If you can rotate them by hand they're loose. And make sure no accessories are wired to the nut closest to the battery terminal. That is what tightens the connection. If not that then have your battery tested.

Oh...and welcome!
Old 09-10-2015, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I'm going by memory of reading a few posts about a similar problem reported by others in the electrical section of this forum. I haven't experienced this myself, so take this information with a grain of salt.

I believe this problem is tied to the steering wheel clock spring. After awhile that clock spring wears out and causes this problem of those dash lights coming on, where replacing the clock spring fixes it. If I recall, the problem could be reproduced/fixed after turning the steering wheel sharp right/left. So you might want to start there, to see if cutting the steering wheel all the way to one side makes the problem come and go.

Good luck and keep us posted. You might want to try some searches in the Electrical section as well.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

Hey Guys thank for the welcome!

Haven't had a chance to check battery and all grounds yet but I did notice the hood ground strap was disconnected. I wil reconnect it and report back...

Could that be causing these issues?
Old 12-22-2018, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

Unhappy Same Problem with my 2015 Wrangler Sahara

Hey guys, haven't found any recent help or solutions to this problem. I was installing a cobra cb and did a new battery swap in my rig, and when everything was said and done my wipers wouldn't turn off, my dash was lit up, and was reading 'no bus'. I have tried disconnecting the battery, I have tried taking apart the dash and trying to find some loose wires but I can't figure it out. If you have any feedback for stuff that I can do on my own that'd be great, if not i'm just going to take it to the dealer.

Thanks,

Julian
Old 05-19-2020, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

Default Well....

What was the fix? Too many folks start these threads looking for a solution and never post what finally fixed it. My ‘07 JKUR is doing this and nobody seems to know the fix. And it’s not my battery cables.

Quick Reply: "no BUS" error troubleshooting