Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

noise at higher acceleration??

Old 02-09-2011, 06:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise at higher acceleration??

Hello,

I am having a noise that does not seem to go away....it does not happen at idle and it gets louder and louder at higher speeds...my initial thought is a wheel bearing (have stock rubicon wheels) but i have no clue....it gets pretty loud around 40mph and sounds kind of like a "baseball card in the bike spoke" after your bike is going faster....it just sounds like a ton of road noise and i cant tell if its the wheel, the tires (25000 miles on stock bf goodrich mt--~50% tread life) or if there's another problem that i don't know about...i have a 2.5" teraflex coil lift with spidertrax wheel spacers and teraflex lower control arms in the front and superchips flashpaq.

does anyone have any suggestions?? i have done tons of research on wheel bearings, pinion bearings, alignment, etc...and other than this really annoying noise the jeep drives totally fine. i have the 6 speed 2 door
Old 02-09-2011, 06:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the noise coming from one side or other? Front or rear? Can you tell?
I had a bad wheel bearing in front and it made a rowwwwwl, rowwwwwl sound, faster I went, worse it got.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:58 PM
JK Newbie

Default noise @ higher acceleration

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Is the noise coming from one side or other? Front or rear? Can you tell?
I had a bad wheel bearing in front and it made a rowwwwwl, rowwwwwl sound, faster I went, worse it got.
It seems like it is coming from the front...as i approach 40mph it starts to get louder (unnaturally louder--not road noise loud)....sometimes its not too bad and sometimes it makes a "tick tick tick tick" but very fast....it sounds kinda like a train coming to a stop sometimes with "tick tick tick tick" at a very fast rate...i have no clue what it is....i'm going to take it in to the dealer in a few weeks but i don't want them to give me any crap if it is a wheel bearing becasue i have spidertrax spacers
Old 02-11-2011, 11:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you think you are hearing a tick tick tick noise, then I would check your u-joints on the axles. Make sure the cap is on each end of the joint and check for any play.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

i'm going to take it in to the dealer in a few weeks
you might want to reconsider that. Ignoring unexplained noises generally costs a whole lot more than paying for a diagnosis.

but i don't want them to give me any crap if it is a wheel bearing becasue i have spidertrax spacers
You are running stock tires, right? Just take the spacers off. If the rear links rub, swap back to stock. Who knows, you just might find the cause of the noise when you remove the spacers.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Lightbulb

Check for missing brake pad clips. I had an odd noise and that was the culprit. Also U-joints could be going out, But at 25K....?
Old 02-22-2011, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

Default noise at higher acceleration

So I took my jeep to firestone to see if they can change my oil and do the 19.95$ total inspection of the jeep for something wrong with the wheel bearings or suspension or just loose bolts somewhere that are banging back and forth. they said that it was literally just the tires that are "cupping" due to possible overinflation. I saw the tread was definitely cupping, but I generally keep my tires around 40psi for daily driving....is this too high? I aired them down to closer to 30psi and now my TPMS light is on

-I really don't know how cupped tires can be that obnoxiously loud, but they are. Since airing down 8-10psi the tires have gotten quieter...i can still hear the "metal banging around" noise but it is less frequent and not as loud as before...

The tires are pretty worn down and I'm getting 35" tires within the next month or so...hopefully the noise is totally gone when i get new tires.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Tire pressure should be around 34 according to the door placard. 40 is deff high and 30 is low for the TPMS. Cupping does suck. Actual cause is improper alignment and/or rare tire rotations
Or overinflated tires. I run my duratracs at 26 to 28. Perfect wear after 10 000km.

Quick Reply: noise at higher acceleration??