Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not another TF leveling kit thread!!!

Old 08-09-2012, 03:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not another TF leveling kit thread!!!

I know there are ample newbie lift/leveling kit threads, but I've searched them all and still want to get a 3rd party opinion. I just bought a White JK (so pumped) and was able to pick up an unused TF Leveling Kit and Wheel Spacers for a good deal. They were for sale on CL and I just couldn't pass 'em up. Figured I could sell them just as easy if I didn't use them.

At any rate. I went by my local 4X4 shop to ask them if they had any 285.70r17s in stock and get an estimate on installing the leveling kit (I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but there are two things I refuse to mess with. Suspensions and Steering. I'd rather leave it to the pros!) and the guys there really urged me to go with a 2.5" budget boost instead. They claimed the stance is much better and that all in all, it'll be better than a "cheap leveling kit". Is this true? or are they just trying to up-sell me?! If a BB is the way to go, I have no problem shelling out the extra dough to do things right. But if the leveling kit is just as good. I'll go with that.

As a bit of background. My JK is a weekend toy. I don't want to do any major offloading. MAYBE some light trail use and camping. I want to fit 285/70r17s (33s) on it and I have zero aspirations of ever putting 35s on it. I've got 4.10 gears and dont want to lose much power...or re-gear!

Any thoughts? Is the leveling kit going to keep my ride comfortable with 33s? or is a 2.5 BB the better of the two options? Pics always help too!

Thanks in advance for wading through what some might consider a redundant thread!!!!
Old 08-09-2012, 03:45 PM
JK Freak

2.5 Teraflex with 35" BFG's.....nuff said.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgraham602
I know there are ample newbie lift/leveling kit threads, but I've searched them all and still want to get a 3rd party opinion. I just bought a White JK (so pumped) and was able to pick up an unused TF Leveling Kit and Wheel Spacers for a good deal. They were for sale on CL and I just couldn't pass 'em up. Figured I could sell them just as easy if I didn't use them.

At any rate. I went by my local 4X4 shop to ask them if they had any 285.70r17s in stock and get an estimate on installing the leveling kit (I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but there are two things I refuse to mess with. Suspensions and Steering. I'd rather leave it to the pros!) and the guys there really urged me to go with a 2.5" budget boost instead. They claimed the stance is much better and that all in all, it'll be better than a "cheap leveling kit". Is this true? or are they just trying to up-sell me?! If a BB is the way to go, I have no problem shelling out the extra dough to do things right. But if the leveling kit is just as good. I'll go with that.

As a bit of background. My JK is a weekend toy. I don't want to do any major offloading. MAYBE some light trail use and camping. I want to fit 285/70r17s (33s) on it and I have zero aspirations of ever putting 35s on it. I've got 4.10 gears and dont want to lose much power...or re-gear!

Any thoughts? Is the leveling kit going to keep my ride comfortable with 33s? or is a 2.5 BB the better of the two options? Pics always help too!

Thanks in advance for wading through what some might consider a redundant thread!!!!
A TeraFlex 2.5" BB kit is more complete than the Level kit, however the BB kit doesn't level the JK out as nice as the Leveling series or the 2.5" coil versions. Sounds like they are trying to up sell you for more shop time. The Leveling kit (#1155200) is one our most popular kits that TeraFlex sells.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks! Is there much of a ride difference between the leveling kit and the BB? I'm assuming I'll get more height out of the BB and coil lifts.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RKracing
2.5 Teraflex with 35" BFG's.....nuff said.
Not gonna lie...that looks awesome! But 35s are a bit more than what i need. At any rate. Are you still running the stock gears on your rubi?
Old 08-09-2012, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sgraham602
Not gonna lie...that looks awesome! But 35s are a bit more than what i need. At any rate. Are you still running the stock gears on your rubi?
Yes, stock 4.10 and they work great. (it's a 2.5 coil lift).............................You can do it!
Old 08-09-2012, 04:40 PM
JK Freak

sgraham.............................Dam dude, I just looked at your two Jeep pictures, that there is a SWEET ride. You don't even need rims. Just a 2.5 and 35" tires.

Check this out...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...em-here-76203/
Old 08-09-2012, 05:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Obviously the teraflex vendor can give you more specific information but in general most companies basic leveling kit trys to get you two inches in the front and one inch in the rear and people have been able to run 33's with that set up without too much trouble. Most budget boost kits are 3 in the front 2 in the rear and allow you to run 35's.

For both leveling kits and lifts you can get kits that replace the coils or just have "pucks" you place ontop your spring to push the jeep up higher. When people say "budget boost" they are usually talking about a lift kit that uses pucks instead of coils.

with 4.10's you won't feel the need to upgrade the gears right away with 33's or 35's
Old 08-09-2012, 05:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by hypeiv
Obviously the teraflex vendor can give you more specific information but in general most companies basic leveling kit trys to get you two inches in the front and one inch in the rear and people have been able to run 33's with that set up without too much trouble. Most budget boost kits are 3 in the front 2 in the rear and allow you to run 35's.

For both leveling kits and lifts you can get kits that replace the coils or just have "pucks" you place ontop your spring to push the jeep up higher. When people say "budget boost" they are usually talking about a lift kit that uses pucks instead of coils.

with 4.10's you won't feel the need to upgrade the gears right away with 33's or 35's

Very well stated
Old 08-09-2012, 07:01 PM
JK Super Freak

I have the Teraflex 1.5" JK Leveling Kit and Spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers with stock wheels and tires. If I could do it again I would go with the Teraflex Performance Leveling Kit (coils) over the pucks, my rake returned once I installed an AEV Performance front bumper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2974110503.jpg
Views:	5997
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	352229
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2663300511.jpg
Views:	765
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	352231  

Last edited by Tripletsi; 08-09-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Not another TF leveling kit thread!!!