Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NP242 in a JK?

Old 11-15-2011, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NP242 in a JK?

Just curious. Has anyone ever switched the NP231 transfer case in a JK for a NP242 transfer case (optional full-time 4 hi)??
Old 11-15-2011, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was kind of curious about that myself. I had one in my XJ and it worked well in snowy conditions where you went from snow covered to clear pavement repeatedly. It would be great if it would bolt right up. Might be an issue with the speedo output.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's one thing I do miss about my KJ. The full-time four wheel drive option.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OscarTheJeep
That's one thing I do miss about my KJ. The full-time four wheel drive option.
I ordered my 06 Liberty Renegade with the Selec-Trac t-case. That vehicle was an absolute monster in the winter time with the full time 4 hi option and Blizzak tires. It would be a really sweet addtion to the JK if it were optional. This will be my first winter in my 2011 so we'll see how it compares. If it was a direct swap or an almost-direct swap I would certainly consider doing it.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:28 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradlybob
I was kind of curious about that myself. I had one in my XJ and it worked well in snowy conditions where you went from snow covered to clear pavement repeatedly. It would be great if it would bolt right up. Might be an issue with the speedo output.
The JK gets its speed data from the ABS wheel sensors.

Was the t-case discussed here pretty durable? Wondering if it had any shortcomings.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The JK gets its speed data from the ABS wheel sensors.

Was the t-case discussed here pretty durable? Wondering if it had any shortcomings.
I don't know too much about the history or durability of this case. I know it isn't considered to be as strong as the 231 because of it's differential that allows it to be full-time. It isn't for the rock-crawling people, but IF it would fit, it would sure be nice for longer distance winter travelling folk.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SNOWHARA
Just curious. Has anyone ever switched the NP231 transfer case in a JK for a NP242 transfer case (optional full-time 4 hi)??
Psssst JK's don't come with NP231 t-cases.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Sharp eye! I didn't pick up on the way the question was worded.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Sorry about that! Is it the 241? Sometimes the hands are faster than the brain.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

The 231 had a higher torque input rating then the 242. But I've never heard of one failing without serious abuse.

It's the one thing that I miss from my KJ & XJ, made them completely unstoppable in the winter. If the roads got that bad, just drop it in part-time and keep on going, the ESP on the KJ worked wonders in full time. (not so much in 2wd).

I've searched a bit but I've never found anyone that's swapped one in a JK, just lot's of former KJ/XJ owners like me whining lol

It does have a 23 spline input in the 242j version (gotta find one with the right shaft length though), which would match the nsg370, but the 242 supposedly doesn't like being mated to manual transmissions (in full time anyway, part time wouldn't be any different then a 231/241). But I think any problems would be caused by driver error.

If a diesel JK doesn't come out by the time my warranty is up, it's high of my list of things I'd like to do.

Quick Reply: NP242 in a JK?