Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Occasional vibration when cornering hard

Old 05-02-2011, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Occasional vibration when cornering hard

I have a relatively new 4.5" short arm lift on my 2010 JKUR. I am swapping out the front drive shaft later this week, hoping that it will correct a couple of things. The main reason I'm swapping it out is because I tore the boot on the front DS off-road, but I've also noticed that when I'm cornering at a little bit higher speed, I get vibration that feels like it's coming from the front drive shaft.

I mainly notice it when accelerating around an on-ramp or slowing from freeway speed off an on-ramp through a loop. I crawled under and looked at the drive shaft but couldn't see any obvious rubbing. The track bar feels tight (relocated with the 4.5" BDS lift).

I don't experience loss of control... it doesn't feel like a full death-wobble that I had with a weak track bar on my old '04 unlimited...

Has anybody else had this rubbing/vibration feel through cornering? I'm hopeful that it's a drive shaft issue since it's going to be replaced this week, but if it could be something else I'd love to know your experiences before I get into the shop. Always good to sound "somewhat" educated before talking to the folks at the shop <grin>.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:31 AM
JK Jedi Master

What is the back spacing on your wheels? Could the tires be rubbing on the front lower control arms, when you turn hard?
Old 05-02-2011, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Robar
What is the back spacing on your wheels? Could the tires be rubbing on the front lower control arms, when you turn hard?
Backspacing is 4.5". I'm running 35" Toyo M/T's and have quite a bit of room. I don't see any signs of rubbing on the control arms. These toyo's would rub like crazy tho if they did touch with the aggressive sidewalls. Good thought - thanks!
Old 05-02-2011, 09:58 AM
JK Jedi Master

I just asked because, I had 5" of bs and 35" KM2 that rubbed. After spacers it stopped, but you could see a shiny spot on the lower control arms where the tread rubbed when turning hard.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:02 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Captain America
I have a relatively new 4.5&quot; short arm lift on my 2010 JKUR. I am swapping out the front drive shaft later this week, hoping that it will correct a couple of things. The main reason I'm swapping it out is because I tore the boot on the front DS off-road, but I've also noticed that when I'm cornering at a little bit higher speed, I get vibration that feels like it's coming from the front drive shaft.

I mainly notice it when accelerating around an on-ramp or slowing from freeway speed off an on-ramp through a loop. I crawled under and looked at the drive shaft but couldn't see any obvious rubbing. The track bar feels tight (relocated with the 4.5&quot; BDS lift).

I don't experience loss of control... it doesn't feel like a full death-wobble that I had with a weak track bar on my old '04 unlimited...

Has anybody else had this rubbing/vibration feel through cornering? I'm hopeful that it's a drive shaft issue since it's going to be replaced this week, but if it could be something else I'd love to know your experiences before I get into the shop. Always good to sound &quot;somewhat&quot; educated before talking to the folks at the shop <grin>.
if your replacing the front shaft, why not remove it NOW and take it for a ride to see if indeed it is that shaft.. at least then u will know and not be scratching your head after u install the new one and the noise is still there...
Old 05-02-2011, 09:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rinkishJK
if your replacing the front shaft, why not remove it NOW and take it for a ride to see if indeed it is that shaft.. at least then u will know and not be scratching your head after u install the new one and the noise is still there...
That's good advice. I will drop it out tomorrow and see if the vibration goes away. I'm replacing it either way as it's definitely a problem with offroad performance but I'm too curious to wait.

Quick Reply: Occasional vibration when cornering hard