Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Odd noise below

Old 09-19-2012, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd noise below

I have a 2012 unlimited and I've done a few mods like 35s , 3 inch BDS lift, new gears. There seems to be a sound from drive train that is new
In last few hundred miles. If you let off gas and then hit it again a loud whine or groaning sound comes up. Driveshaft? It only happens when you hit gas. Stops as soon as you take foot off gas. Maybe it's always been there but seems new. Any thoughts?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

No ideas or thoughts?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:31 AM
JK Freak

looks like according to your profile you have an auto. - you also have a 3inch lift, so my guess would be the driveshaft(s).

Buddy of mine had the same issue on his 12', replaced with a coast DS.

Does it sound like this?
JK Rear Drive Shaft Noise - YouTube
Old 10-02-2012, 08:31 AM
JK Junkie

Sound like front of engine area? Mid area (transmission)? Rear (gears) possibly?

Try having someone drive it around the block and see if you can listen intently. I drive doorless, so when I had a new squeak, my dad hung out door side and listened underneath as i drove around to find my lower shock mount bolt was loose.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

It does seem tone similar to the video. I play again when I can hear it better. So stock shaft not good with lift ?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I checked out the video again and seems close to what I have. Anyone else have this issue? Wonder if its a big deal or if it needs new shaft right away?

Quick Reply: Odd noise below