Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Odometer off?

Old 04-26-2011, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odometer off?

OK, sorry for the Newb Question, but follow my logic:

A) I changed stock tires out for 33's and now my speedometer is approx 1 MPH per 15MPH off - my speedo says 15, I'm actually doing 16.

B) If my speedo is off (due to my internal CPU), won't my Odometer be off also?

C) If my Odometer is off, won't it F up my title?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:11 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yes

You can get a programmer/tuner to recalibrate. AEV ProCal and Superchips Flashpaq are probably the two most popular.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:12 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

you need to pickup an aev procal or a programmer like a superchips flashpaq - one of them will allow you to set your speedo/odometer
Old 04-26-2011, 11:12 AM
JK Newbie

Well the easy fix is to get a superchip and set your tire size bigger. I set mine when I got my 35's and its close to right. Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

Doh! I figured i could get away without one since i have a 6 speed and i wasn't too worried about shift points and loss of power.

So...new question - Am i a bad person for living with it as is?...if i put stock tires back on when i sell, no harm no foul, right?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:27 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco
Doh! I figured i could get away without one since i have a 6 speed and i wasn't too worried about shift points and loss of power.

So...new question - Am i a bad person for living with it as is?...if i put stock tires back on when i sell, no harm no foul, right?
You definitely would not be the first person to not have a properly calibrated odometer/speedometer. And I wouldn't call any of them "bad". If you have the trip computer (gas mileage, etc), its numbers will also be off. You should be aware that it is illegal to not have a correct odometer/speedometer, but I have never heard of anyone be ticketed for it.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 35's and 4.88

I have put 35's on my 2 door Rubi and 4.88 gears from the factory gears of 4.13.

I can make the adjustment for the 35's using the Diablo Sport Predator I have but it does not allow adjustment for the gears.

If I set the tire size smaller or larger, witch way do I go to get the proper Speedo?
Old 05-02-2011, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Yes

You can get a programmer/tuner to recalibrate. AEV ProCal and Superchips Flashpaq are probably the two most popular.
Ditto...Corrected mine after 35's with the AEV Procal. Very easy.

You can double check your speedometer afterward using a Garmin or other GPS unit. My experience is these new GPS units are very accurate.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKBobAZ
I have put 35's on my 2 door Rubi and 4.88 gears from the factory gears of 4.13.

I can make the adjustment for the 35's using the Diablo Sport Predator I have but it does not allow adjustment for the gears.

If I set the tire size smaller or larger, witch way do I go to get the proper Speedo?
The Diablo Sport tuner I have does not do gear changes....what I found from trial and error is if I set the tire size down to 33.5 the spedo is correct.

Quick Reply: Odometer off?