Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM tube steps VS RR oval side steps.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM tube steps VS RR oval side steps.

OEM vs Rugged Ridge. Pros/cons... any real differences? Just need something that won't stick out to far, but will work to get the wife in/out safely!
... and not look odd with flat flares (such as the stock steps).
Old 04-17-2010, 09:38 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

they both do the job but, if you plan on doing any wheeling, they'll both get torn off. have you considered maybe about getting some rocker guards that can serve as a step as well?
Old 04-18-2010, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was looking at a few of the frame-mounted ones. The LODs and the Shrocks look pretty good. The concern with the Shrocks is that they appear to extend the full lenght of the pinch seam (which I've already formed back to avoid tire-contact). The LODs appear to be a bit shorter. This is my DD so the additional weight is also an issue compared to simple steps...
Old 04-19-2010, 03:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Weight is always an issue as it takes away in mpg and other performance factors...

I don't have any on my Rubi yet (am still debating on the brand), but I believe Teraflex makes aluminum sliders and those would have a significant weight savings over steel...

however, the ones made by LoD, Poison Spyder, or others with the "dimpled steel" foot steps look very sharp...

choices oh the choices!!
Old 04-20-2010, 10:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

The teraflex are a great idea, however there are a few probs:
-the step is as high as the door sill, so it's really just a cab patio/deck
-the look is meant to match up with factory flares and not cut or flat flares IMO
-appear too long... past where we all bend back the pinch seam to avoid tire contact

Quick Reply: OEM tube steps VS RR oval side steps.