Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Oil Pan Protection...

Old 07-30-2007, 09:55 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Pan Protection...

Anyone seen anything for oil pan protection? I have a huge dent in mine from rocks, so far it isn't leaking. How much does the Skid Row engine plate cover? Is there any "hardened" oil pans available?
Old 07-30-2007, 10:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the skid row covers everything

tranny, engine, exhaust

its a nice piece
Old 07-30-2007, 10:50 AM
JK Super Freak

any downsides to the skid row skidplate? im considering it myself.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you have an auto, the driver side support brace comes very close to the trannie cooler lines, and.....the exhaust crossover is very close to the skid. Mine buzzes every now and again under load.

Otherwise I was very pleased with it. I gave it a severe pounding in the Sierras.

Andy
Old 07-30-2007, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AndyR
If you have an auto, the driver side support brace comes very close to the trannie cooler lines, and.....the exhaust crossover is very close to the skid.
Any chance you could post a pic?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:55 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by armycop
Anyone seen anything for oil pan protection? I have a huge dent in mine from rocks, so far it isn't leaking. How much does the Skid Row engine plate cover? Is there any "hardened" oil pans available?
Like you, my oil pan is dinked up pretty good and I too am looking for some protection from the rocks before anything serious happens. But, having said that, I have seen the Skidrow skid and I wasn't that impressed with it. I have also seen one that Kilby was working on and it's a bit better but I'd really like something a bit smaller and tighter fitting like the kind of oilpan skids that are available for the TJ.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:25 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Like you, my oil pan is dinked up pretty good and I too am looking for some protection from the rocks before anything serious happens. But, having said that, I have seen the Skidrow skid and I wasn't that impressed with it. I have also seen one that Kilby was working on and it's a bit better but I'd really like something a bit smaller and tighter fitting like the kind of oilpan skids that are available for the TJ.
My dent is danger close to the drain plug and I am afraid that it may tweak the hole and burst some day, I am hoping some company comes up with a more effective skid plate!
Old 07-30-2007, 01:32 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by armycop
My dent is danger close to the drain plug and I am afraid that it may tweak the hole and burst some day, I am hoping some company comes up with a more effective skid plate!
No kidding - we must have hit the same rock

Trust me, I have been buggin the manufacturers I know personally for one and have been keeping an eye open for something I like from everyone else.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Post Skid plates

I asked Kilby questions about the JK skid plates through e-mail and phone conversations. This was their response.....

We don't have the skid plate in production. That article caught us off guard, we haven't even completed the cad drawings for that kit. We have had some interest from the article, so we'll consider that when it's time for production. Kilby Enterprises.

They also stated that the ones in 4WD and Sport utility were a one off and haven't decided if the skid plates will go into production.

Nth Degree's response was this......

I expect that we will have the JK oil pan skid and some sort of undercarriage skid plate designed and I production around the turn of the year. Unfortunately this is speculation at this point but I hope that our schedule will hold true and that we will have some more awesome JK products for you. We truly appreciate your interest in our products and hope to help you further in the future.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:12 PM
JK Jedi

Default Oil pan pic...

Originally Posted by toad
For those of us who don't know what that looks like (well, ok..me), can you please post a pic so I can keep an eye out? I'm still learning.
The oil pan is on the bottom of the engine, and holds engine oil and the plug drains the oil resevoir. If you rip off the oil pan, the engine oil will gush out and you will see the back of a tow truck!

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Protection...