Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OK listen-up! Time to be serious....

Old 05-01-2009, 06:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with Scott I think its the balance
Old 05-01-2009, 07:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE:

I just finished changing the diff fluid... WOW!!! Easy squeezy!

The fronts were crystal clear, the rears... Blackish silverish, mostly black. Anyway, that's all done.

I measured the alignment as outlined in project-jk and it would seem that I may have a slight toe-out, if not almost center. If it's out, it's only 1/16th of an inch. WOL says that the best setting is a 1/8th inch toe-in that suits 35" tires best. So once again going ahead with the assumption that this is the culprit.

So now I have a problem because I can't find my channel-locks . I called my neighbor who owns a TJ Rubi and asked if he has a pair and he wasn't home. BUT he was at Sears and is soon heading home. He's going to be picking me up a pair of "Made in USA" channel locks as per my request.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:14 AM
JK Junkie

UPDATE:

Well, I adjusted the toe-in to 1/8" inward in comparison to the rear ( front=67 1/8", rear 67 1/4") and I aired the tires to 28psi front 30psi rear.

Better... But just a little. Now it only comes on occasion within the 35mph mark instead of at a guaranteed 30-40mph. When I'm cruising at or around 35 or if I'm slowing and pass 35 is when it does it, although not quite as bad.

It'll be going off to 4wheelparts on Mon. for a balance and whatever else may be needed. I tried, even though it did improve, it was not as much as I prefer; I'm pretty anal when it comes to drivability. I didn't quite fail, but I surely didn't succeed.

I let you know how things go on Mon.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:23 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:.
good luck! man whenever i here 4wheelparts i cringe
Well, no 4wheelparts on Mon., they're all booked.

This thing is F%#king pissing me off !!!

It's relentless and it varies with every little thing that's done. I've aired up, I've aired down, I've aired left, I've aired right, I've adjusted toe-in, I've adjusted toe-out. I suppose the last thing to do is to balance the tires.....

Now I see what everyone is getting worked-up over .

I'll be calling my local 4x4 shops I guess......
Old 05-01-2009, 12:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally would have started with balancing... hope that works.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:59 PM
JK Junkie

UPDATE:

OK... In my last post I said that I tried toe-out, that's because it was slightly toed-out before I even started.

Well, I read an article in JP mag that said that you can toe-out as much as 3/8" in order to fix wobble. So I thought "scew-it, what do I have to loose?" and I went out and did it...

IT WORKED!!!

I set it to about 1/8" toe-out initially with much improvement. So then I set it to 1/4 for the hell of it. Thank goodness I did because she's back up and rolling like a champ. I do have minimal wobble, but now it just barely moves the steering wheel and only around 35mph. That, and sometimes it doesn't do any type of wobble AT ALL.

JP mag also said that toe-in and toe-out will depend on your caster angle.

Here's the article:

"There are two schools when it comes to alignment. Too much caster and too much toe-in can induce death wobble. Too little caster and too much toe-out can cause wandering. Identify your symptom. If the tires start oscillating and hopping violently, you've got death wobble. Increasing the toe setting to as much as 3/8-inch toe-out (yes, readers toe-out; no misprint) has been known to help, or if possible, dialing the caster back to 3-4 degrees positive (bottom ball joint in front of top). The larger your tires, the less caster you should need."

Old 05-01-2009, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm just a little east of the sunshine state but I would like to know if this is your first rotation.

I thought about this rotation method before, but the problem I see is that front tires tend to wear unevenly on the outside. Moving the left front to the right front and the right front to the back means you still have a tire that is worn on the outside - but only on ONE side. And you have two worn tires on the SAME side.

Anyhow, if it does turn out to the balance, then I'll feel more confident in potentially using the method.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:06 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by InTheMist
I'm just a little east of the sunshine state but I would like to know if this is your first rotation.

I thought about this rotation method before, but the problem I see is that front tires tend to wear unevenly on the outside. Moving the left front to the right front and the right front to the back means you still have a tire that is worn on the outside - but only on ONE side. And you have two worn tires on the SAME side.

Anyhow, if it does turn out to the balance, then I'll feel more confident in potentially using the method.
Check out the post just above yours.

If you still have any questions, feel free to ask again.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:32 PM
JK Freak

i guess in thinking about it you're not doing anything all to crazy with wear.
As long as you rotate frequently, I don't think it would too big a deal. But that would be key due to the differing wear characteristics between front and rear

Originally Posted by tkob1060
I'm with Scott I think its the balance
I'm stickin to my guns BSack. Just don't see how a tire rotation could affect steering geometry... unless you have some BIG wear differences now between front left and front right tires.

I hope you get this fixed man. I'll cross my fingers for you. Sounds like a balance is in order. Then you should be good
shoulda balanced em first

Originally Posted by brandonbooth
I personally would have started with balancing... hope that works.
ditto

Originally Posted by InTheMist

This is why I decided to just not rotate the spare. Couldn't see any way to incorporate the spare into the mix without rotating AND balancing them every 3,000 or so.

Bsack, I bet ya a $ if you get a balance done that little shimmy @ 30 will go away.

Oh and you're right, air pressure will play hell your ride if it is out of wack.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:35 PM
JK Freak

I have never seen anyone rotate that way before I just alway go front to back and back to front and keep them on the same side. All of the tires out there today are radials for the most part beside the swampers sx which are bais ply which require you to go from driver front to passenger rear and the same on the other side radial dont like to be turning the oppisite way that they were original turning in it can create a tire to seperate

Quick Reply: OK listen-up! Time to be serious....