Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OME 2" vs Teraflex 2.5 kit?

Old 08-17-2008, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are only 45 minutes from me. I live in Manassas VA. I installed an OME lift on a friends 2dr JK. Had her buy it from Northridge 4x4. Very nice kit, rides REALLY REALLY nice too....

Shoot me up with a PM when you plan on doing it etc...We are practically neighbors...so why not.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by stevedolce
Do i want to stay away from things like spacers and pay the extra bucks for bigger springs? i have a base X, so i don't thing the shocks are worth keeping..
I see you already have an aftermarket front bumper. Are you going to get a winch too?

The extra weigh up front will make a difference on what kit you will need to get. I believe the TeraFlex Spring kit, and the OME HD kit assumes you will/have extra weight up front, and if you don't you'll end up with a reverse rake. A benefit of the BB kits is that you know "exactly" how much lift you'll get compared to your current lift (it will just increase by the size of the pucks).
Old 08-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbilly
I was torn between the OME and the (new) Teraflex 2.5 kit w/4 springs and shocks. I decided to wait until the teraflex kit came out and finally decided on it. I can honestly say I can not be any happier. The ride is as good as stock, if not better. I say that because I cant tell the lift is there. I did the install myself, but I have had 3 other jeeps and always did my own work. The JK is, in my opinion, alot easier to work on. The OME kit seems to be a great kit, and everyone who has it would probably tell you the same thing, that they are totally satisfied. I chose Teraflex, mainly because of the super support from the manufacturer and that this kit had what I was looking for in a lift. I am totally satisfied with Teraflex! The kit I have is part#1251000
THANK YOU!!
Old 08-17-2008, 07:20 PM
JK Freak

If you go with the BB, look for one that gives a little extra lift in the front. This will help take out some of the rake from the factory and the added rake from the bumper weight. My RE BB had 2-1/2" front spacers and 1-3/4" for the rear. I went with the monotube shock option which in my opinion is better than the factory ride.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:26 PM
JK Freak

I started with the TF 2.5BB. Then went with the TF 2.5 springs all the way around. It's the only way to go. If your going to add a winch and bumper, you will need the coil springs instead of the spacers....

I'll help install if you come to AZ....
Old 08-17-2008, 09:31 PM
JK Freak

If you're seriously considering the coil lift, then go ahead and spend the money to get it. I've seen several people on this forum say they wanted to save a few dollars so they went with the BB only to swap it out with a coil lift a few months later. Just keep in mind that even though they say the coil lift is 2 or 2-1/2", it will probably be closer to 3". I went with a BB because I was getting 33" tires and I didn't want that much lift.
I also had financial limitations to consider. If I had too much lift, then I would want bigger tires, then I would need to re-gear, then I would also need new track bars, etc.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:39 AM
wgr
JK Enthusiast

I had TF BB for 6 months, then went for OME 618rear/619front and am really satisfied. Last night came back from a trip to russian side where we drove 2600 kilometers and OME was performing very well on those roads with constant bouncing and potholes. Much bettre ride than with original springs and shocks.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Zee
JK Freak

I am in the same dilemma here... OME or Teraflex. I considered BDS, but the guys I spoke to that had the lift for a period of time on their TJ's said it was crap.

I have questions:

1. With the Teraflex, will the Jeep sit even with a Winch/Bumper up front? I do not want to use spacers.

2. A a later date, can OME shocks be used with the Teraflex lift? (i know... OME is a competitor, but you gotta admit, they have a great rep)

Thanks

EDIT: I'm a "JK Freak" now!

Last edited by Zee; 09-05-2008 at 01:17 PM. Reason: JK Freak now
Old 09-05-2008, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Teraflex was my choice because of their customer service and their active participation on this forum. I have 1000 miles on the 2.5" coil lift and could not be more satisfied with it!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default re

I am very happy with the OME HD. I would probably be just as happy with the Tera lift. It is "just" coils and shocks. Both compnaies are reputable so you can be sure they are using decent components. Whatever you decide... my guess is you will be pleased!

Quick Reply: OME 2" vs Teraflex 2.5 kit?