Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Onboard air

Old 11-23-2007, 03:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Onboard air

First some background...I've got a stock 08 4dr. I enjoy surf fishing on the beach. I normally air down the Goodyear SR-A's to 17-20psi. I hate waiting in lines for air in the summer only to find out theres something wrong with the air station.

I'm considering mounting a 2.5 gallon tank under the drivers seat. Running rubber line, for now, to a quick disconnect in the front grill. If it works well I'd think about ridgid plumbing. Using a manifold up front with tank pressure guage and regulator.

I figure I can pressurize the tank with my home compresser. I don't have a protable compresser yet, but I've been looking at the MV-50 types.

Q. How many psi could I get in each tire with the 2.5 gallon tank alone?

Q Would a small compresser be enough? I'm not filling large tires afterall.

Any help or pics of your OBA would be greatly appreciated

Fluke
Old 11-23-2007, 06:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Its all a matter of patience....if you get a small inexpensive compressor, they might be able to reach 200+ psi, but, to get you up to 35 psi from 17 psi, might take 15 minutes/tire...or an hr for all 4, etc.

One tire holds about 3-4 gallons of air...so, as mentioned, the 2.5 gallon tank, would ONLY work if coupled with a compressor to recharge it...and, it would STILL take as long for the 2nd to fourth tire, etc.

So...your air back up options are:

To be patient, and use the slow inexpensive compressors.

To get a faster (Fast enough to match or beat your patience...) compressor.

To get a faster compressor and 4+ gallon tank that can hold 150 psi.

To get a really ginormous 20 gallon 150 psi tank, and use a cheap (Or whatever) compressor to fill it before you head out.

Get a CO2 tank set up with regulator, etc.

Carry 4 spares.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:40 AM
JK Freak

Check out some of our sponsors, they carry portable compressors that hook straight to you battery for under $100. I use one and it works fine.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sgmrock
Check out some of our sponsors, they carry portable compressors that hook straight to you battery for under $100. I use one and it works fine.

Link please
Old 11-24-2007, 06:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ARB Air compressor

I have installed a high out put ARB Air compressor under the passenger seat which is a dual compressor no need for air tank etc. I am very impressed by this air compressor.

I have front and rear arb airlockers activated by this pump.

the part number is CKMA12/24

Flow rate (under no load): At 0Kpa (0PSI): 75.1 (2.65CFM) litres/minute & (under load): At 200Kpa (29PSI): 61.6 (2.18CFM) litres/minute
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ckma12.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	4439  
Old 11-24-2007, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the info. I was under the impression that having a tank, even if small, would provide a reserve and assist the compressor. I aired my tires with a friends Superflow MV-something or other and it took about 3-5 minutes per tire. (not exactly sure because we were enjoying a cold one and shootin the bull

Zac, and others, I'd like to see some pics of your install.

My plan was to have the tank under the seat and mount the compressor on the front bumper.

Thanks
Fluke
Old 11-24-2007, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

I had a 10 gal Power Tank CO2 tank in my TJ with 33" tires. I was amazed at how well it ran my ARB air lockers and how quickly the tank filled my tires. This system was much more reliable than the ARB compressor. Plus, it was nice having the tank around the garage for kids bikes, air mattresses etc. I am planning on using the 15 gal Power Tank with my JK running 37s.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Yeah - The CO2 tank set ups are about the fastest air up you can get...and a small CO2 Tank holds ALOT of volume, as its in liquid form in the tank...and it vaporizes as it comes out...so a small CO2 tank can perform days of wheeling duty.

I went with a compressor and reserve tank set up as I KNOW I'd never have time to get the CO2 refilled, albeit a buddy of mine I wheel with just got two tanks, and refills one at a time, so he always has one as a back-up, etc.

I hooked my compressor (4 CFM, 150 PSI) under the hood, and mounted the tank (4 gal) under the truck about under the drivers seat area...and used a solenoid and tank pressure switch to kick the compressor on when the tank was drawn down a bit, and turn it off again when the tank was fully charged.

I went with a compressor that could hit 150 psi so I could cram another ATM or 2 of air into the reserve tank over the std 120 - 135 psi limits most of the other hi-flow systems were limited to, like the ARB unit mentioned....making the 4 gallons hold as much of a charge as possible. This way, I can reset blown beads with a big blast of air, make the air horns scream, etc.

I then mounted a quick disconnect on the front bumper, so I can just snap on an air line for airing up, running air tools, etc, as needed.

You can also use rock rails and other tubes as tanks, etc.

Last edited by TEEJ; 11-24-2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got a cheap $9 air compressor for my wife to carry with her... will this work to refill my 33"s? I don't see why it wouldn't
Old 11-24-2007, 10:26 PM
JK Super Freak

I have nitrogen filled tires. Carrying around a nitro tank is really not fun, but it does fill faster. These and CO2 tanks MUST be strapped down and it is wise to keep the regulator off the tank when not in use.

Upside of these over air? Altitude makes no difference on pressure, nor does tire heat. Whatever you "air down" too is what you have, high or low altitude.

You can refill at most oxy/acet stores or at your local refer supply house.

Quick Reply: Onboard air