Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Opinions/After Gear Install

Old 07-25-2016, 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi.. This past week I did the gears upgrade.. Very reputable shop in my area.. Gears job, no issues, very clean job.. After the job, something just didn't seem right, I feel the rear of my Jeep is lower than the front, and the Jeep is no longer level. Below are pics to compare.. One shot is when i got 35s two weeks ago, granted the spare tire isn't not on. I do not think the weight of the spare would cause a decline like that though. I went to the shop this morning, and his explanation was that the springs were "centered" and that it road higher because the springs were not "centered" to the axle. I told him that my 2.5" teralflex lift was installed in April, and everything seemed fine. He said that I may need a puck to even it out.. Logically it makes sense.. The skepticism in me just can't buy that.. What yall think.. See pics .. Pic 1 is prior to gears install.. Pic 2 (top on) is today post gear install..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2987862455.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	653076   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2704979420.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	633.3 KB
ID:	653077  
Old 08-07-2016, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

It is hard to see the difference from the pics, but our jeeps are very similar and I see a noticeable drop when my spare tire is on. I run a 2.5 AEV lift and when I hang my 315 70 duratrac on the back end it drops. Pm me if you want I will measure the difference with and without tire for comparison.

Cheers

Northridge 4x4
Old 08-07-2016, 09:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The spare tire mounted does make a difference. It does on mine anyway. Running tf springs as well
Old 08-07-2016, 02:22 PM
JK Freak

Maybe I'm just crazy but it looks like the first photo not only doesn't have a top or spare tire, but also no rear bumper. Whereas the second photo has a top, spare tire, and a rear bumper. All three would definitely weigh down the jeep a little.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm lost. You have a jeep with no top-no tire- and no rear bumper, then with all of the above, an aftermarket steel bumper to be exact, and yet you think the shop that installed gears sabotaged your jeep to steal 1" of height...
Old 08-07-2016, 09:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Gear swap doesn't involve touching the springs so it won't impact your ride height at all. As others mentioned, the 2 pictures clearly show what is causing the difference in ride height.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
I'm lost. You have a jeep with no top-no tire- and no rear bumper, then with all of the above, an aftermarket steel bumper to be exact, and yet you think the shop that installed gears sabotaged your jeep to steal 1" of height...
You forgot to add : no spare tire carrier or third brake light.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Guys.. I jumped the gun a lil bit .. It was a perfect storm of factors.. I did all the mods at once n didn't account for the potential weight in the rear .. It was just perfect timing.. Added the rear bumper, new 35s, tire carrier, etc.. Added a 1" spacer in the rear.. Its all good now ..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3641002572.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	609.8 KB
ID:	654246  

Quick Reply: Opinions/After Gear Install