Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Opinions needed - Winch Selection

Old 02-03-2010, 12:04 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions needed - Winch Selection

So the next major mod looks like will be a front bumper and a winch. Had wanted to go with the LoD Signature Stinger for a loooooooooooooong time but the more I look at the OR-Fab Stinger, I think the more I'm leaning towards it. Probably compliment the OR-Fab Tire Carrier much better. Anyway, not decided fully on that just yet, but wanted to tackle the next question - a winch!!

Been researching winches for a while now and have done many searches and read many threads and debates at end about the different models. Here's my dilemma - I don't foresee using the winch much and am not an aggressive wheeler by any means. If money wasn't an issue, I'd probably go with the Powerplant just to have it; but I'd rather spend money wisely and save up for other mods than overdo this.

That said, been looking at a few brands - Smittybilt, Rugged Ridge, Mile Marker and Warn. Read many a debates about what size winch is needed and the question is - having a 4-Door Unlimited, how sufficient is having a 8,000lb winch? One of the models I'm leaning towards is the Warn M8000 - but what concerned me is that many members had commented on how a bigger winch is recommended for the 4-Door Unlimited models. Looking for a good winch, that'll last a while and is reputable. If the 8,000lb wouldn't be a good option, what are the other suggestions based on what you're using? Do I need a 9,500lb+ winch?
Old 02-03-2010, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

subscribed:

I found a really good article in "Overland" magazine which rated winches. I'll have to look back at it, but I think they liked warn in many of the tests, although at no expense.

I keep drooling over the warn models, I have an AEV bumper I will be using for my application, and because of the mounting, looking for something that take up less space like the warn 9 mosfet, or t, and lightweight too as the AEV bumper weighs a ton by itself.

The smaller real estate package of the warn I liked was still cable and I'd like to go synthetic for weight and safety reasons. Not sure if all the cable winches can be converted to sythetic line.

I know these may be wierd requirements, but some of the other winches almost stick up to the top of the hood when mounted, and I'm not going for a tractor look.

All else equal when you pay that much for a quality winch it ought to look good though on the front of your vehicle.

Do you want rearward pulling ability? I think about this at times, but if I didn't have the AEV bumper I'd be going for a hitch winch.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Warn M8000.....$539USD which is only a little more than other cheapies. Why WOULDN'T you go WARN at that price?
Old 02-03-2010, 12:29 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by officer_vince
Warn M8000.....$539USD which is only a little more than other cheapies. Why WOULDN'T you go WARN at that price?
Oh, I'm not saying I wont... I just want to make sure if that'd suffice for a 4-Door... The general consensus was that a 8,000lb would not be ideal for a 4-Door...
Old 02-03-2010, 12:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Mile Marker

i'm doing the Mile Marker VSX 9.5. a little more than $800.00. but i like the control it has!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:31 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by rubi_kong
subscribed:

I found a really good article in "Overland" magazine which rated winches. I'll have to look back at it, but I think they liked warn in many of the tests, although at no expense.

I keep drooling over the warn models, I have an AEV bumper I will be using for my application, and because of the mounting, looking for something that take up less space like the warn 9 mosfet, or t, and lightweight too as the AEV bumper weighs a ton by itself.

The smaller real estate package of the warn I liked was still cable and I'd like to go synthetic for weight and safety reasons. Not sure if all the cable winches can be converted to sythetic line.

I know these may be wierd requirements, but some of the other winches almost stick up to the top of the hood when mounted, and I'm not going for a tractor look.

All else equal when you pay that much for a quality winch it ought to look good though on the front of your vehicle.

Do you want rearward pulling ability? I think about this at times, but if I didn't have the AEV bumper I'd be going for a hitch winch.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe you CAN change out a steel cable to a synthetic at a later time - although it DOES end up costing more doing it this way. I could be wrong though.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:40 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by ckmehl
i'm doing the Mile Marker VSX 9.5. a little more than $800.00. but i like the control it has!
Thought of the Mile Marker... But their customer service reviews have been less than stellar... When buying something that expensive, that also becomes a thing to keep in mind.

Originally Posted by ECHO
SmittyBilt XRC-10 Comp With Synth Line for same price shipped to your door.. Great for 4-doors..
Been thinking of this one too...
Old 02-03-2010, 12:45 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like the look and the price is right for the Warn 8000M Winch get it and just add a snatch block and you basically doubled your pulling to 16000lbs. A few months ago a friend that had a Warn 8000M on his truck pulled out my +8000lb Dodge Ram CTD out of a mud pit without a blink of an eye. Warn 8000M should have no real issues pulling out a JKU.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:51 PM
JK Newbie

I'm in the same place you are, looking at the same winches.

I keep thinking of the M8000 I had on my last Jeep and how great it was. I used it enough to rebuild it once, and it never let me down.

I think a working M8000 is better than a broken chinese winch with synthetic rope.

I'm not saying they are going to break, but when you need a winch you really need it. The few bucks you may save won't be worth it if you ever have a problem.

You can use a snatch block and other tactics to make the M8000 work if you need to. Most pulls don't require full capacity anyhow.

At $539 the M8000 is cheaper than it was 10 years ago. How often does that happen?

Its almost like Warn is trying to fight the imports and keep some of the market share.....

I plan to get the M8000 and change to a synth rope when the cable gets worn in a few years.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:52 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ECHO
Isn't it great to have so many options.. it just sucks.. picking which one...

Yep...went through this about 2 months ago....

looked at XRC-8 and 10, Superwinch, Mile marker.......got lucky a few days later Warn had a sale at my local autoparts store...Jumped into a Warn XD9000i for cheaper than I could ship a XRC or Superwinch or Mile Marker from the States.

Quick Reply: Opinions needed - Winch Selection