Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Opinions Please: Lift v. Flat Fenders

Old 11-24-2010, 01:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coltc2000
Ario I would go with the flat fenders now and then lift later if that is not enough.
Flat fenders will get what I think you are after and no complications that a lift may create (realignment, death wobble, extra parts needed, etc...)
Thats what I was thinking to begin with. But the fenders don't create more ground clearance like a lift would. Although they would allow for more upward suspension travel. I can only do one at this time.
See, the dilemma I'm in? Each choice seems to have their pro's and con's, and I'm getting good views on both. Decisions, decisions.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cut your own fenders ... it's super easy ... and with a Jig Saw you don't even need a steady hand ... just follow your tape line ....

Then you can have both for the same price!
Old 11-24-2010, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmhines
Cut your own fenders ... it's super easy ... and with a Jig Saw you don't even need a steady hand ... just follow your tape line ....

Then you can have both for the same price!
Dmhines' fenders look about as good as any I have seen! I have seen these in person and I was very impressed. If you can get pics of his, that's what I would do. I'm gonna do mine just like his if I can ever muster the courage!! Well worth it!!!
Old 11-24-2010, 01:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DARB
Dmhines' fenders look about as good as any I have seen! I have seen these in person and I was very impressed. If you can get pics of his, that's what I would do. I'm gonna do mine just like his if I can ever muster the courage!! Well worth it!!!
Thanks ...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...fender-flares-....
Old 11-24-2010, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice!! Still a good job! That's why I haven't done mine yet. (the gap)

My 35's are coming for Christmas and then I'll take to cutting mine!!
Old 11-24-2010, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

My opinion, to run flat fenders you need to run a huge tire in order for it to look good because of the huge gap between the fenders and the tire.

I would recommend the teraflex leveling kit if your not wanting to run a bigger tire because of the re-gear issue. This is the route I went. Im going to a set of 285/75r16s but right now Im running the stock 255/75r17s that came stock. To be honest it looks good if I had a rougher tire in that size, so with your rubi takeoffs I believe you'd be happy with it.

Also I went with the pucks $115 from OffRoad Warehouse. Some say that the pucks will sag over time, but I figure that I can just replace pucks cheaper than I can buy a whole new suspension lift, for the time being.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:27 AM
JK Freak

So, i reviewed this thread and if i counted right, Lifting has won out over fenders (although fender chops got the most votes regardless of my decision to not do it) and one vote for body lift.

The problem is, it seems the argument for fenders was more persuasive than lifts despite the number people for them.

Thanks once again for all the insight. I'm mulling it all over and hope to have a decision by spring. Maybe i'll hit the lottery by then and can just do it all.

-I should probably start playing the lottery...
Old 11-27-2010, 11:13 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ario56
So, i reviewed this thread and if i counted right, Lifting has won out over fenders (although fender chops got the most votes regardless of my decision to not do it) and one vote for body lift.

The problem is, it seems the argument for fenders was more persuasive than lifts despite the number people for them.

Thanks once again for all the insight. I'm mulling it all over and hope to have a decision by spring. Maybe i'll hit the lottery by then and can just do it all.

-I should probably start playing the lottery...
Just to be clear that my vote wasn't for a body lift, but a body lift to mitigate the additional bumpstopping needed to run a no lift/flat flare 35" tire rig.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JPop
Just to be clear that my vote wasn't for a body lift, but a body lift to mitigate the additional bumpstopping needed to run a no lift/flat flare 35" tire rig.
*Noted.
I'm still taking it into consideration though. It might as well have been a vote, it's something else I need to ponder.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:16 PM
JK Freak

Ok, so here it is over 4 years later and I finally made a decision!
Seriously though, after moving/buying my first home and all the other things that have happened I'm happy to be spending cash on the Sahara again.

2.5" Rubicon express coil spring lift. It looks fine with 265/70/17 tires and I didn't need to cut my fenders.
Now I just need to find some trails.

Quick Reply: Opinions Please: Lift v. Flat Fenders