Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Optima Yellow Top Battery????

Old 11-23-2008, 05:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Optima Yellow Top Battery????

Has anyone put a second battery in their JK to power thier accesories. If so could someone direct me towards another thread??

I just want to know ere you all put it and which one you bought. Also if you get one how do you hook it up so that it recharges when turned on.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a second and third battery in mine, I used the Woods storage tub. But benchmark-designs.com has a dual battery tray coming out in January.

As far as charging, I use a hellroaring isolator.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Former Vendor

I haven't done it, but I'm considering it as a mod next year. As far as I know only one company has one for the JK. The company is Benchmark Designs.

EDIT: Slow on the response.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks Guys for your responses.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by eDiveBuddy
I have a second and third battery in mine, I used the Woods storage tub. But benchmark-designs.com has a dual battery tray coming out in January.

As far as charging, I use a hellroaring isolator.

Could you send me a pic or some model number of your setup.

Thanks,
Old 11-24-2008, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Warlock13
Has anyone put a second battery in their JK to power thier accesories. If so could someone direct me towards another thread??

I just want to know ere you all put it and which one you bought. Also if you get one how do you hook it up so that it recharges when turned on.
Are you asking about the Optima yellow top? I have not had experience with the yellow top, but i had a red top in a Corvette. Absolutely the worst battery i've ever had. If I didn't drive it everyday, I had to keep a charger on it so that it would crank when ready to drive.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

hey i used to work to optima/ interstate battery and honestly the optimas are pretty much the same as any of the other deep cycle battery... you can get a marine deep cycle fron interstate batter for much cheaper and will do just as good of a job.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

good to know, I had no idea about the optimas.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:51 AM
JK Junkie

I have heard alot of good things about the Deka intimidators, but I dont have any first hand knowledge with them yet.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike_Engle
The optima batteries like an even 12 volt charge, the JK charges at about 13.5 - 14.5 volts which kills the optimas. They last about a year or so before you have to replace them. Look for a deep cycle battery that can accept the charge the JK alternators put out. I use an Exide Orbital AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery. They might cost a little more then the optimas but they are far superior then then optimas.
all current jeep, dodge vehicals charge around 13.5v. optima red top do except this charge level the deisel kj came stock with a red top.

Quick Reply: Optima Yellow Top Battery????