Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Out of place rear springs.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Out of place rear springs.

I bought my 2007 2-Door brand new, with a 2.5" BB already installed. I don't remember the brand or know if it matters. But I always noticed that the rear end sits lower than the front, but I just pulled the front pucks out and let it go.

I recently upgraded my tires to 34" tires, and though they didn't hit, the front looked too close to me, so I put the pucks back in. That brought about the issue with the rear sitting lower, so I did a little poking around.

What I found when I got under the back end was that the springs have tipped backwards in the spring bucket, so while they are still held in place buy the square of steel that is around them, they are inches behind the cone where the spring or puck should sit. I was going to try jacking the thing up and popping them back in place, but I don't know what good it will do if they're just going to pop off again.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there some way to fix it without tearing everything apart and drilling and tapping the seat for a lockdown strap? It's my DD and I'm in the Army, so I don't have a lot of time to tear stuff apart, and I really can't risk getting into it and not getting it finished.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:24 PM
JK Freak

welcome to the forum!!!!!! now about your ?......i had this issue when i first intalled my lift but mine weren't inches out by any means but same concept as yours.....there are actual grooves and a precise way that the spring needs to sit in on the rear spring mounts....if you dont already know that, you'll see what i'm talking about when you reseat the spring...but i jacked it back up, put it on jack stands and sat the spring correctly and have not had an issue w/ it again.....and i've wheeled it pretty hard and at full flex which if it was going to happen to me again then it alreaDY would have......so i'd just put a floor jack and jack it up on the melon of the differential then put some jack stands under it and reseat the springs....oh and definately get some spring compressors from an auto parts store b/c that will make it 100 times easier and a lot quicker...

hope that helps you out a bit
Old 04-11-2009, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks

Thanks,

I have all the stuff to do it, and I was going to when I was under there, I just didn't want to waste my time if it was going to happen again. Now that I know at least one other person has had the same thing happen, I'll feel better about using up that time.

The people who did the work were retarded (which is why I usually don't let anyone else touch my stuff, but it was the only one left at the dealer and I didn't want to wait... lol). I already had to do everything but take them to court to get them to replace the stock shocks, which with my Jeep were actually short enough to lift the tires off the ground with anything more than the tiniest bump.

So, I guess I'll go on the assumption that they didn't bother to make sure the springs were in the right place from the start, and put them where they belong.

Thanks again!!
Old 04-11-2009, 07:38 PM
JK Freak

not a problem, thats what we're here for...now i cant guarantee that it'll fix your problem, but from what it sounds like this should definately do the trick.....and i know the feeling about not being able to wait...
Old 04-11-2009, 07:52 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You might find my thread on basically the same issue interesting.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/full-traction-2-bb-spacer-lift-81007/
Old 04-11-2009, 08:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

These may help up top

May as well do the retainers on the bottom at the same time (didn't find a pic of them, but several posts recently from folks that have installed them)

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-11-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Junkie

Same thing happened to me https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/rear-spring-shifted-out-place-common-66521/

I installed shorter shocks (actually went back to stock Rubi shocks with extensions) to solve the problem. My TF 9550 shocks were too long for the springs without using the coil retaining spacer shown in the above post.
I'm good now though

Old 04-12-2009, 07:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know JKS offers those lower spring retainers with some of their kits. I got them with their ACOS kit.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had an issue with the rear springs when I installed my rear control arms and driveshaft. The trackbar would hit the spring under compression. Yep, the spring was not in the "groove" like it should have been.
As a matter of fact, I had it rotated 90 degrees off when I installed it. Too much bud or morphine I guess!
Anyway, to fix it, I had to take half the crap loose so I could droop the axle enough to wedge it back into place.
Since then no problems, but if I go to the longer travel OME LT shocks in the future, I'll add the retainers for sure. Cheap insurance for any lift I'd say.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Mine do that too... I am going to build (or possibly buy) some retainers to hold them in place. I want to get as much flex as possible, so I'm not interested in shorter shocks.

Quick Reply: Out of place rear springs.