Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

P0520/22 issue. 2 drastically different quotes

Old 02-01-2021, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0520/22 issue. 2 drastically different quotes

Hi all, I have a 12' JKU with ~111,000 miles on her. Last week my CEL came up and I received two codes; P0520 & P0522. I'm looking to get this issue taken care of at a shop but the 2 estimates I have gotten so far are confusing. The local shop I normally do business with quoted me at $850 and the dealership was less than half of that, around $300ish. Am I missing something here? I was expecting to spend less than $500 for this job and I'm worried if I go the dealership route, it will turn out to be dramatically more expensive than they initially estimated. Does anybody have any insight on this issue? I'm not the most mechanically inclined so DIY is out of the picture.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 113 Likes on 103 Posts

I’m surprised the dealership is at $300, however I wouldn’t expect them to stick to that if they have to chase a bad wire. Your other shop may be a bit high but an estimate is just that. It’s nearly impossible to give an accurate estimate for electrical issues. The bad wire/plug can be right up front of a corroded wire within a wire loom. That can take hours to find in some cases

It sounds like you may be able to replace your oil pressure sensor (P0522). and likely what happens is the connection gets dirty and imitates a bad wire (P0520). So replace the sensor and clean the electrical connection. If you’re lucky then this will fix your issue and save you a few bucks.

Edit, just saw you said diy is out of the picture. Well, I’d suggest asking your mechanic why they think their estimate is so high, and then compare their shop rate with the dealer. Then make your choice based on that. If it were me, I’d say a couple hours tops to find a possibility broken wire (if that’s the case), half hour to replace the sensor (I’m not sure where on the engine it is, it could be a 5 minute job or a 1 hour job... not sure) then a few bucks for the cost of the sensor. I’d say anywhere between 3-500 bucks for the fix sounds okay for a shop quote.

Last edited by Sv_dude; 02-01-2021 at 06:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Josh Rivard (02-01-2021)

Quick Reply: P0520/22 issue. 2 drastically different quotes