Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

performance chips

Old 04-11-2014, 11:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance chips

I have a 2011 jeep wrangler jk sahara, with 6" lift, 37" tires, and im putting more into the engine. Im starting with a performance chip but im not sure which one to go with. A diablo, bullydog, or superchip. Help? I do a lot of Hwy driving for work but also get off rd whenever I see an opening so I need something that will add power, and better gas
Old 04-11-2014, 11:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't expect any huge power or mpg gains from a programmer because it won't happen. It will however calibrate your speedo which will be way off with your current setup. I have a SuperChips flashpaq and have used a diablo. All them pretty much do the same thing. Could also try the for sale section might pick up a cheap one, just make sure it is VIN unlocked.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
Don't expect any huge power or mpg gains from a programmer because it won't happen. It will however calibrate your speedo which will be way off with your current setup. I have a SuperChips flashpaq and have used a diablo. All them pretty much do the same thing. Could also try the for sale section might pick up a cheap one, just make sure it is VIN unlocked.
Def what he said. I have the super chips. I can feel a difference. Wait for one to come up used. No rush to get it right away. Or wait for a sale.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:47 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yep, the tuners for this 3.8 engine claim decent numbers, but that is way up in the rpm band where you will never use it. Look at a few dyno charts, but plan on maybe 10hp +/- down in the usable rpm range. The big benefit is all of the other nifty features, any added hp/tq is just a bonus. (just my opinion, you will get other people saying the extra power is awesome...)
Old 04-11-2014, 01:31 PM
JK Newbie

Ok I wasnt looking for anything big, but my speed is way off and I plan on redoing my gears to bigger size, getting new throttle body and spacer, and cold air intake, eventually leading up to a supercharger. But I def want something to control things more
Old 04-11-2014, 02:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Most of the forced induction options use the DiabloSport because it is custom tunable. Might be the one to look at, instead of Superchips.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by koehn24
Ok I wasnt looking for anything big, but my speed is way off and I plan on redoing my gears to bigger size, getting new throttle body and spacer, and cold air intake, eventually leading up to a supercharger. But I def want something to control things more
Definitely get a programmer but I would suggest saving your money as far as a throttle body spacer and CAI go..
Old 04-11-2014, 02:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by koehn24
Regearing will give you the most noticeable increase in power running 37" tires. Keep the 3.8 as stock as possible (switch to 10w30 oil if you haven't already) and it will live a long time.

Also, the throttle body and spacer is a HUGE waste of money!
Old 04-11-2014, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
Does a diablo leave a foot print on the ecu or anything that can be picked up if i take it off and bring my jeep into warranty?
Old 04-11-2014, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a hypertech max power on a 08 auto. Have a 33.5" tire and 410 gears. I had to tell it the tires are 32.25" to get the speedo rite. I can tell a little diff in the power. It gives us 16 mpg so that's a plus. It did make the jeep stop beeping because there's no tps in the wheels.

Quick Reply: performance chips