Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

pitbull vs nitto mud terrain tires

Old 03-08-2010, 03:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Grapplers and they aren't for ricers. That guy was a Dousche. There is a member on here who does black trails and yet has 45,000 plus miles on the tires.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:41 PM
JK Newbie

im kinda new to this what is a ricer??
Old 03-08-2010, 04:31 PM
JK Junkie

I dont understand how nittos are ricer.... I guess just because nitto makes other tires........ like most other comnponies and people put there tires on thier japanese cars.......
Old 03-08-2010, 04:43 PM
JK Freak

I'll let you know about the Pitbulls (bias) in a few weeks. I have a set of 37's that I got for cheap waiting to be put on. Gonna do a 1" BL and maybe bushwacker flats.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by brianjk7
If I don't get a good deal on something else, then I'm gonna try the PitBulls out. For the money 37s cost it hopefully is a decent tire.
I've run 37" bias Rockers and now 38.5" radial Mad Dogs. Let me tell you that they are not decent tires. These tires are straight up amazing. Kick ass on LTBs I used to run off-road. Haven't run the radial Rockers yet but they will be the next set I try out. I've run the Km2's and they are a good tire but worse in mud, snow, ice and sand. Quieter on road though. Pitbulls do have a notorious flying B52 sound that I personally really like. They bias were not a great ride on road but unbeatable offroad. My radial Mad Dogs required 0 and I mean NO weights to balance at all! Good choice with radials for what it sounds like you are looking for. The ONLY reservation I may have is... I don't know how these tires would handle the hot roads. May or may not be an issue, I'm sure someone out here knows the answer.

Last edited by Northernmedic; 03-08-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

I've been wondering the same thing. Mud Grapplers v. Pit Bulls. Would be awesome if someone could chime in who has experience with both. I'm running 37" Nittos and I love 'em. Only complaint is that I've experienced some mild hydroplaning on the interstate if there's standing water/ slush. Yeah they're noisy but I don't mind it, in fact I personally think they sound awesome! Off-road they're unstoppable and the furthest from my mind as far as capability. They grab so good it makes me wonder how the hell my axles or other parts don't give out. I've yet to find a tire that does any good in snow. I think that's what they make snow cats and snowmobiles for.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

What is the main difference between radial and bias tires?? explain in detail please

Thanks leski
Old 03-08-2010, 07:47 PM
JK Newbie

Radials are more flexable, quiter, and last longer on-road. bias have more plys which = stronger sidewalls and rougher ride on-road and less MPGs.

Last edited by JK lovr; 03-08-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Northernmedic
I've run 37" bias Rockers and now 38.5" radial Mad Dogs. Let me tell you that they are not decent tires. These tires are straight up amazing. Kick ass on LTBs I used to run off-road. Haven't run the radial Rockers yet but they will be the next set I try out. I've run the Km2's and they are a good tire but worse in mud, snow, ice and sand. Quieter on road though. Pitbulls do have a notorious flying B52 sound that I personally really like. They bias were not a great ride on road but unbeatable offroad. My radial Mad Dogs required 0 and I mean NO weights to balance at all! Good choice with radials for what it sounds like you are looking for. The ONLY reservation I may have is... I don't know how these tires would handle the hot roads. May or may not be an issue, I'm sure someone out here knows the answer.
I have bias ply LTB's now...and have been impressed off road with them. I have not run pit bulls, although I have looked long and hard at them.

I'm interested in what size LTB's you had, and how the rocker and mad dog compare to each other...

...as frankly, they looked a bit gimmicky to me to take seriously....but I like to keep an open mind....as more options = more fun.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:02 PM
JK Freak

I completely agree that they do look "gimmicky". The only reason I turned to them was because I was given a very good deal on them. But, I have not regretted my decision for one second. Bias ply Rockers will never replace Swampers in the mud, but in everything else they simply are the best. Heck, there's a reason why the are the tire of choice for KOH. I switched to radial Mad Dogs only because bias tires were not the best option for my DD and at the time only the Mad Dogs were available in a radial. Even in the rocks these Mad Dogs are better than my old LTB. As soon as these tires wear and the Radial Rockers are available in more sizes that's what I will be getting. Seldom do the gimmicks work but in this case it's not snake oil.

Quick Reply: pitbull vs nitto mud terrain tires