Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Please don't laugh...really dummy question

Old 09-25-2009, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please don't laugh...really dummy question

OK, please don't make fun of me for this, but i really do have a serious question about my jeep. I just purchased a 4 door wrangler and i LOVE it. When i bought it, the dealer told me that it has a lift and 33'' tires. It's pretty obvious to me the info on the tires as i can read it, but is there any way of actually telling how much of a lift I have? I was told it was somewhere around a 3'' lift, but i don't know for sure. How do i tell how much of a lift is on there...and furthermore what kind of a lift? Thanks for the help! I'm sorry i'm such a noob!!!
Old 09-25-2009, 06:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trumpet8va
OK, please don't make fun of me for this, but i really do have a serious question about my jeep. I just purchased a 4 door wrangler and i LOVE it. When i bought it, the dealer told me that it has a lift and 33'' tires. It's pretty obvious to me the info on the tires as i can read it, but is there any way of actually telling how much of a lift I have? I was told it was somewhere around a 3'' lift, but i don't know for sure. How do i tell how much of a lift is on there...and furthermore what kind of a lift? Thanks for the help! I'm sorry i'm such a noob!!!
Old 09-25-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

i knew it...thanks for making me feel even dumber...
Old 09-25-2009, 07:02 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately theres no good way to tell you what you have, as there is no real identification method for lifts. Best thing you can do is look at your control arms and shocks - see if you can find any identifying numbers and names. If they are all stock, you probably have a budget boost - and the spacers should have some identification on them as well. If you find any identifying numbers or names, post them up and people or the mfg themself might be able to tell you what you have based on the part #s.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:03 AM
JK Super Freak

just kiddin' it could be either a body lift or a suspension lift. to look for a body lift look where the body sits on the frame, there will be a few mounts on each side, they look like small hockey pucks stock and look like taller puck depending on 1", 2" or 3". body lifts don't normally go over 3". if its a suspension lift look for relocating brakets on the trac bars, spacers at the tops of the springs or if the springs look different than a stock one. if any of the control arms are adjustable this would be a good sign as well.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

Here are a couple of pics to maybe help...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0832.jpg
Views:	780
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	30541   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2227-2.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	30542  
Old 09-25-2009, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't understand why the dealers don't write down the aftermarket parts. Motorcycle dealers do. Do car dealers think we won't care? Also pics might be helpful. get pis of the shocks/springs especially near the top. get some of the axles. that should help a bunch.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

the jeep website list the height of a stock Sahara as 72.4" so get out a tape measure and see. Yours will be a little taller due to the 33s so somewhere around 73" without a lift.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trumpet8va
Here are a couple of pics to maybe help...
Looks like you've still got the "JK Rake" which suggests to me that it's a budget boost or a body lift. Your best bet is call the dealer and ask him/them.

Or...find someone local that knows Jeeps.

Or...take a bunch of detailed pics of the suspension and let all of us web wheelers here play "pin the tail on the suspension manufacturer."
Old 09-25-2009, 07:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Not sure what kind of lift, but it looks Sweet! Nice buy!

Quick Reply: Please don't laugh...really dummy question