Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Please, someone design and market a tilt and slide for the 2dr passenger seat

Old 09-05-2007, 06:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Please, someone design and market a tilt and slide for the 2dr passenger seat

I will be first in line to buy it and promise not to complain about the price
Old 09-05-2007, 06:57 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

In all honesty, the HUGE backwards step that Jeep made designing the 2-door JK without an easy to use fold and slide passenger seat was one of the biggest reasons why we cancelled our order for one and ended up getting a 4-door. I know that might sound silly but when you wheel with family, getting in and out of your Jeep is something we had to consider. Plus, we still have our TJ and it has a seat that does work well - but, I digress.

Like you, I think whoever makes a fold and slide seat upgrade will find a very large audiance eager to buy it.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:08 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think that's silly at all. I remember when I first realized that the tilt and slide wasn't on my Jeep. I thought something was broken. Its absence makes getting a baby in the back very difficult. I still wouldn't have traded a 2-door for a 4-door or anything. In fact, 2 half doors, I wouldn't have settled on anything else.

I'll join LidLess07X in the I'd pay whatever it costs group.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:12 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they could just design the seatbelt into the seat bracket, it would be so much easier, and it would move with the seat. It is still a tight squeeze to get in if you are over 5 years old. My friend's 5-year old daughter looked in there and said "How do I get in there?"

Last edited by armycop; 09-05-2007 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my .02 here, but I wouldn't count on any major mfg. to offer anything like this for liability reasons.
The four sensors the seat mounts on would take a beating and it would increase the total mass of the seat assy, throwing the calibration off. The airbag software may mis-read the sensors because of this and cause undue injury due to the sensor inputs.
The airbag software supposedly uses the weight of the passenger to regulate the speed of inflation and the amount of inflation.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you saying the sensors are mounted between the seat frame and the floor? I have never looked, but I thought the sensors were actually in the seat itself. Either way there has to be a way. C'mon aftermarket
Old 09-05-2007, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by John L
Just my .02 here, but I wouldn't count on any major mfg. to offer anything like this for liability reasons.
The four sensors the seat mounts on would take a beating and it would increase the total mass of the seat assy, throwing the calibration off. The airbag software may mis-read the sensors because of this and cause undue injury due to the sensor inputs.
The airbag software supposedly uses the weight of the passenger to regulate the speed of inflation and the amount of inflation.

I dont know if this statement is completely true... there are already companies marketing offroad seats for the JK....
Old 09-05-2007, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I second that !!!!

I wonder if all you need is to find an adjustment peice that slides the seat more to the front. I still thing you can get at least another 6 inches. The main reason I still went with a 2 door with my kids is because of the looks with the Top down. But the 4 doors are starting to get common enough not to look unusual like when they first came out. I have to agree, liability will be the issue unless you run some test and prove it will work in collision. That way if someone tries to sue you, you have the data and the investigation itself to prove it. On the other hand, Could you remove the basic frame and replace it with a TJ? No matter what, someone will figur it out. Come one, look what happen with the 4 door on this forum....They added and rear seat in the back the folds. Talk about minds out there.....
Old 09-05-2007, 07:13 PM
JK Junkie

I'd be content if the damn thing just laid flat without slinging foward... On second thought... Maybe I'll take it out instead... ooop, already did that!
Old 09-06-2007, 03:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WestGaParrotHead
I dont know if this statement is completely true... there are already companies marketing offroad seats for the JK....
This statement is completely true, as found in the owners manual.

Listed below are reasons why the aftermarket probably won't mess with it.
What you do in your own garage is your own business, but if my kid's or wife's safety is compromised by altering the seat, what was gained? Even if the aftermarket made something to work, re-calibration of the Occupant Classification Module would be required.
We can't even get into the system to tweak the motor functions, how accessible would the safety systems be?

I agree that it's a royal pain to access the back seat and a better design should have been implemented, but I for one will not compromise the safety of my passenger for a little more convenience.

WARNING!
Unapproved modifications or service procedures to
the front passenger seat assembly, its related components,
or seat cover may inadvertently change the
airbag deployment in case of a frontal crash. This
could result in death or serious injury to the front
seat passenger if the vehicle is involved in an accident.
A modified vehicle may not comply with
required Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
(FMVSS).

• The Occupant Classification Module (OCM) is located
beneath the front passenger seat. The OCM
classifies the occupant into categories based on the
measurements made by the seat weight sensors. The
OCM communicates with the Occupant Restraint Control
(ORC) Module. The ORC uses the occupant category
to determine whether the front passenger airbag
should be turned off. It also determines the rate of
airbag inflation during a collision.

• Your vehicle has four Weight Sensors located between
the seat and the floor pan. The weight sensors measure
applied weight and transfers that information to the
OCM.

The front airbags have a multistage inflator design. This
may allow the airbag to have different rates of inflation
that are based on collision severity and occupant size.
Also, the front passenger airbag is certified to the Federal
regulations that define Occupant Classification (Refer to
Occupant Classification System in this section).

• The Occupant Classification System (OCS) is part of
a Federally regulated safety system required for this
vehicle. It is designed to turn off the front passenger
airbag in the unlikely event that a rear-facing infant
seat is in the front passenger seat.

The OCS classifies an occupant using weight sensors
mounted in the base of the front passenger seat. Any
weight on the seat will be sensed by the system. Objects
hanging on the seat or other passengers pushing down
on the seat will also be sensed. The weight of an adult
will cause the system to turn the airbag on. In this case,
the OCS has classified the occupant of the seat as an
adult. An adult occupant needs to sit in a normal position
(with their feet on or near the floor) in order to be
properly classified. Reclining the seat back too far may
change how an occupant is classified by the OCS.

Quick Reply: Please, someone design and market a tilt and slide for the 2dr passenger seat