Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Poor performance for Toyo Open Country?

Old 12-31-2009, 11:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no prob with my toyos at all i have them balanced and rotated about every 4000 or so and they are wearing and performing great under many conditions
Old 12-31-2009, 11:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Man,

I think the whole tire debate is like which do you prefer? Blonds, Brunettes, Redheads?

Find a GOOD quality tire, fits you budget, and go with it.

My only recommendation is to stay away from Khumo.

Never had a set of Toyo, but people like 'em here.

I'm a fan of BFG and will probably stick with them.

Goodyear MTR/K seem to have a good rep, I was never a fan of the old Goodyear MTR (more like an All-terrain tire if ya ask me)

Anyways, go with what you like, looks good, and gets good reviews.

For the most part, most all M/T tires will perform close to the same. They will wear out differently though.

I can say that a set of the stock BFG's on the Rubicon will last at least 40,000 miles. I have half tread and have 27,000 miles on mine.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:50 PM
JK Junkie

I've heard a lot of good things about the Open Country tires, just wondering how they perform versus the GY duratracs or the Nitto mud or trail grapplers. The Nittos are lighter and still have an aggressive tread.

I'm mainly concerned with wet, icy or snowy roads since all of these perform well offroad.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is what 37" Toyo's can do ...... ok I didn't get it pulled out, but it was awesome to have all four tires throwing snow.

This day there was 2' of snow and the jeep was unstoppable, any snow bank any place I wanted to go, there was no question. Pull many people out and had on issues. This is my second set of the MT's others were the 285's. Only downside is they are heavy. On the positive side they are pretty quiet and really long wearing.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

love my toyo's the wear on them has been exceptional hardly wearing at all in about 20 000kms. yes they are heavy and expensive but the best tire out there IMO
Old 12-31-2009, 04:02 PM
JK Junkie

Toyo's are great tires. Their main downside is price and weight. The MT/R with Kevlar is a lighter tire. So it will put less stress on your drive train.

And I have not personly owned the MT/R w/Kevlar yet, but the tight tread spacing on the center section should provide better wet and snow traction then most mud tires.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Freeman
I was at American Tire the other day and the mechanic advised going with the 37” Goodyear with Kevlar over the Toyo Open Country’s. He said the Toyo’s did not have good traction in the rain even when he siped them. He also said they didn’t balance properly and wore too fast.

Any thoughts on this?

I do live in Oregon and need a tire that’s going to perform well in the nasty weather.
I have 35 inch Toyos, They are already siped are the 37s not siped
Old 12-31-2009, 06:03 PM
JK Freak

The toyos suck when it is really slick, like snow over ice or just icy roads. Everything else I like them. I almost have 40k on mine and bet I will get another 10k. I think I will try mtr's or duratracs next for better snow performance.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sleestak
My 37's are.
Then why is the guy at American Tire saying he siped Toyos. Run away from that Tire store.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:01 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Chicken Corners
Then why is the guy at American Tire saying he siped Toyos. Run away from that Tire store.
Because the stock siping is very limited. Adding a proper level of siping greatly increases traction.

Quick Reply: Poor performance for Toyo Open Country?