Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Powdercoating wheels

Old 06-21-2011, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powdercoating wheels

I keep getting different answers from shops in town. I have stock rubicon wheels that I want to powdercoat dark gray. Do they need to be blasted or stripped before? Some say yes, some say no. Also what's a good price for powdercoating? I've gotten anywhere from 50-100 a wheel.
Thanks everyone.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not 100% sure, but logic suggests they need to be prepped (sanded, blasted, whatever) prior to powdercoating in order for it to adhere to the metal. Otherwise it might flake off. I think $50/wheel would be fair, or $200 for all 5(spare).
Old 06-21-2011, 01:33 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm with BigRed on this. I know paint and powdercoat is different, but just seems to me that the surface would need to be prepped. As for price, anything close to $100 and you might consider new wheels. You'll be well on your way depending on size.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

Default i'm happy...

well i wound up paying $100 a wheel and they guy guaranteed them for life, when compared to the price of new black wheels i thought it was a good deal. From what he told me he stripped them and took longer than he anticipated, he told me the factory finish was a b*tch to get off. I do know he soaked them in some acid or something but didn't mention anything about blasting(doesn't mean he didn't). I'm happy with how it came it's been over a year now since and haven't had any problems however i really don't off-road some beach riding and mild dirt roads.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Glad you're happy - can't beat a lifetime warranty! FYI - It was hard to strip because most OEM wheels are powdercoated. You can get away with powdercoating over most OEM wheels with a good sanding, but if you get too many coats on there the coating will get brittle which can lead to issues ....

Quick Reply: Powdercoating wheels