Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Preventing Water in Airbox?

Old 09-24-2009, 07:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Preventing Water in Airbox?

As I pack up and head out to this weekend's Jamboree, I'm thinking about water fording in my JK. A fellow JK'er here hydrolocked while driving fast through about 1' of water!!! Heck, I do that on the street in the rain!
(see youtube video below of him hydrolocking)

Another Jeeper and I were looking at the design of the airbox intake. He said, and I tested this i little, that the water seems to travel up the fender inside the engine bay and splash against the hood, RIGHT INTO THE AIRBOX!

My Liberty's inlet was forward facing and I PLOWED throug puddles and deeper stuff for years without issue.

Some say to disconnect your airbox during off roading to prevent this. But MAN does that sound like a bad idea in terms of dust getting sucked in!

Here's a thought: someone here posted a home made "pre-filter" made from a swim shirt (water proof yet breathable). What do you all think about doing that either at the inlet of the air box or maybe even along the 4" tube to act as a filter/water blocker?

Hydro Locking caught on vid:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SIECIKSu.../1/WCjuP2ypY2I

Oh, and for the record, I'm not worried about water fording and sucking in water. I know how to do it properly (slow & steady) as seen here. I'm really just talking about messing around and playing in the muddy water.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=konN6OLYY84
Old 09-24-2009, 07:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a snorkel and be over with it
Old 09-24-2009, 07:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Snorkel?
I'd be nervous going through the water in the second video without one, but that's just me.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't want a snorkel on my DD'er. Some day, yes. But not now, as in today, as in this weekend's Jamboree! LOL

Oh, and in that vid, I wasn't the first jeep in. I knew exactly what the water level was and also knew that the bottom under the water was solid. But yes, that was the DEEPEST and LONGEST crossing I've ever done! I just wish the guy I gave my cam corder to didn't accidentally switch the setting to digital from tape which is why the resolution is poor! :-(
Old 09-24-2009, 08:04 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, as many people that have hydrolocked....it's almost got me wantin a snorkle. If you could SEE how little water causes hydrolocking, you'd be worried. All it takes is ONE TINY drop to ruin an entire engine. That's it. A snorkle is cheap insurance and a wise investment.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

it's funny but i had never even heard of hydrolock before a few weeks ago. i was driving through deep mud and splashing all over the place and i didn't have a problem. now that i know about it i'm worried just driving through big puddles lol. i ordered a snorkel last week. can't put a price on peace of mind
Old 09-24-2009, 08:41 AM
JK Super Freak

heyyyy I resent that 1' comment... hahahaha

Pause the video at the 8 second mark and you can see that there is clearly water covering the entire 35'' wheels and it is up to the fender edges... thats at least 38'' of water in the center...

3' not 1'

anyway yes yes I know it could have been a hell of a lot less painful if I just went pushing through slowly and not barreling through like a hooligan.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:54 AM
JK Super Freak

get a snorkel you know you want to my advice for this weekend would be to just take it slow through deep stuff
Old 09-24-2009, 08:55 AM
JK Freak

A snorkel is much cheaper than a new engine. Even if your insurance covered it, it's still cheaper than that $500 deductible!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:01 AM
JK Freak

I have been through much more water than that... much faster and not had any problems.

See picture:

Since traded that JEEP in But never a problem.

Quick Reply: Preventing Water in Airbox?